Mental Health Forums

*trigger* Dx With Bpd In 2009, Reassessed With Eupd In 2013

autism-bpd

So in 2009 I was diagnosed as having Borderline Personality Disorder, but for a while I thought I had developed something called ' Complex PTSD' after October 2010 because I was having regular flashbacks, very overprotective of myself, thoughts of suicide, felt like the perpretator has won and very distrusting of people.

But in October/November 2012 I started displaying what you would call Manic Depression; the very extreme highs where I was spinning around in circles, impulsive with my money; to crashing down to a low suicidal, psychotic and selfharming. All what i had read fit Bipolar Type 1 because I was talking really fast.

But then i had my reassessment and it turned out that I do not meet the full criteria of BPD, but that I have EUPD - Meaning i do not meet the full criteria of BPD, what they displayed as having similar traits to bipolar but i only have the added emotional side of BPD. I do not have the abandonment issues, I do not make threats to suicide or selfharm but it just happens. The psychiatrist said because of my child upbringing of me being abused is the reason why i have not learned to deal with my emotions, that make senses why i do not know what the true happiness feels like. They put me on Quetiapine to help elevalate the mood swings and keep me stable, in which they forced my GP to prescribe it to me and it stabilised my mood, but then GP would not prescribe it no more because were the worst country for budget cuts and they cannot afford it so then they put me on Sulpiride. So then my mood swings are back again. Impulsive, Staying in bed, not able to go to my activities much again. But when I move away they are requesting the Surgery to prescribe me Quetiapine as they maybe able to prescribe it

Yes it is, but I do not meet the full criteria. I do not have enough symptoms to fit BPD, but they said that I only fit the emotional side of BPD, so was diagnosed with EUPD

Oh sorry flipper,guess I was being vaugue. Its kind of hard to explain what I was thinking and its really not important :)

I always believed BPD and EUPD are the same dx.

I was always told Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder is a new, more favoured name for Borderline Personality Disorder.

Still i was saying that she diagnosed me with the only emotional side i dont fit the full diagnostic criteria for a proper diagnosis of BPD

Its still the same dx, but there are two types, borderline type and impulsive type. Maybe they meant you have traits autismflipper, everyone who is dx with bpd is different i was dx with it and i am the least emotional person anyone could ever meet, we are all different.

I am impulsive, thoughts of selfharm/suicide but i try not to act on it, but i spin around in circles, i talk really fast but i crash to a low tearful flashbacks. The letter uses the words BPD with emotional dysregulation in it but my next letters say EUPD.

EUPD was what they were considering changing BPD to (at least that's what I read and heard from a therapist) so as to avoid stigma etc etc. Doesn't mean you have BPD, sounds like you have traits of it- the same goes for myself. I have traits of BPD without fitting the criteria for the 'full' disorder- however if these don't get sorted out it could develop into the full, it can also get worse under stress.

Do you find that when you are stressed you suffer more of the traits or find that the traits you do have go into overdrive?

With regards to the Bipolar traits- Bipolar can be diagnosed with BPD quite commonly. Not everyone with BPD will have bipolar and vice versa but there are a fair few people who have BPD who also have issues with Bipolar. Also, there's research suggesting that in BPD sufferers certain areas of the brain, e.g. the frontal lobe, are undeveloped and contribute to impulsivity and emotional difficulties etc.

If it isn't certain that you have Bipolar then BPD traits can still account for the extreme and quick mood swings as many BPD sufferers find themselves swinging from one 'pole' to another- one extreme to another, often from one to the other several times a day and within a short period of time.

With regards to your childhood and also to you considering you may have some kind of complex PTSD- I've read quite a bit suggesting that BPD (or EUPD) is almost a type of Complex PTSD- or that it at least has a LOT of overlap and similarities. It wouldn't surprised me if this was the case. A lot of people who have BPD have trauma and abuse of some kind- it is not always easy to label what counts as abuse also. A sufferer does not have to have had physical abuse- it can be as simple as the abuse of neglect and invalidation, the lack of unconditional love. Not all those who have BPD have had abuse so I'm not trying to suggest that!

If you find that the Quetiapine helps you then keep on at your new doctor- hopefully they can get you it. If you find they can't and the new meds don't work then you'll have to keep trying different ones and hopefully find something that works for you as well.

It may be worth looking into different therapies- especially ones like DBT and anything for c-PTSD, are you getting any help at the moment?

*big hugs* it can be difficult, hopefully you'll find the help you deserve soon!

my last letter says i have EUPD

Letter before that which explains my outbursts are BPD with emotional dysregulation.

does that make sense now?

EUPD was what they were considering changing BPD to (at least that's what I read and heard from a therapist) so as to avoid stigma etc etc. Doesn't mean you have BPD, sounds like you have traits of it- the same goes for myself. I have traits of BPD without fitting the criteria for the 'full' disorder- however if these don't get sorted out it could develop into the full, it can also get worse under stress.

Do you find that when you are stressed you suffer more of the traits or find that the traits you do have go into overdrive?

With regards to the Bipolar traits- Bipolar can be diagnosed with BPD quite commonly. Not everyone with BPD will have bipolar and vice versa but there are a fair few people who have BPD who also have issues with Bipolar. Also, there's research suggesting that in BPD sufferers certain areas of the brain, e.g. the frontal lobe, are undeveloped and contribute to impulsivity and emotional difficulties etc.

If it isn't certain that you have Bipolar then BPD traits can still account for the extreme and quick mood swings as many BPD sufferers find themselves swinging from one 'pole' to another- one extreme to another, often from one to the other several times a day and within a short period of time.

With regards to your childhood and also to you considering you may have some kind of complex PTSD- I've read quite a bit suggesting that BPD (or EUPD) is almost a type of Complex PTSD- or that it at least has a LOT of overlap and similarities. It wouldn't surprised me if this was the case. A lot of people who have BPD have trauma and abuse of some kind- it is not always easy to label what counts as abuse also. A sufferer does not have to have had physical abuse- it can be as simple as the abuse of neglect and invalidation, the lack of unconditional love. Not all those who have BPD have had abuse so I'm not trying to suggest that!

If you find that the Quetiapine helps you then keep on at your new doctor- hopefully they can get you it. If you find they can't and the new meds don't work then you'll have to keep trying different ones and hopefully find something that works for you as well.

It may be worth looking into different therapies- especially ones like DBT and anything for c-PTSD, are you getting any help at the moment?

*big hugs* it can be difficult, hopefully you'll find the help you deserve soon!

I tried DBT. I tried the disability womens group which that was to determine if DBT would be appropriate me in the mainstream environment and they said that its not best for me.

I think autismflipper they just changed the name of your dx, i was dx with emotionally unstable borderline type personality disorder thats the correct name for it but its also know as bpd, if that makes sense, you still have traits of bpd, eupd they just wrote the name differently this time.

yeah it does but the main element in bpd is emotional dysregulation, thats what causes all the problems that people with bpd have the inability to regulate their emotions.

Archived