Mental Health Forums

Psychiatry Is An Evil Practice And Denying It Is Foolhardy

illuminator

Psychiatry in the UK is frankly evil, and the following points denote why:

- Why don't mental health professionals actually understand how society is structured? Many of them still believe it's the 1950s and that the same values apply. Most even think that modern values are a pathology, yet is there evidence for this?

- Psychiatrists pick and choose who to treat well, based on flippant criteria of being "nice".

- Psychiatrists believe that atheism is an illness, and distrust patients who are not religious

- Psychiatrists seek to punish patients, which is the reason they enter the profession. If somebody has cancer, then doctors would compassionately assist them, but not seek to punish them.

Why can't psychiatry be outlawed? Why do we need it?

And what even characterises "mental illness"? Maybe psychiatrists who don't get the society THEY LIVE IN are mentally ill.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like you are feeling some very strong and mildly bitter feelings towards psychiatry and those who work in the field, what has your experience with them been?

A lot of people have had bad pyschiatrists but many others have found certain individuals who have helped them when they've been in need, not all can be tarred with the same brush.

I understand the frustration and rage with an industry which has the balance between caring, theory, research, labelling and targets wrong a lot of the time. It can be a very cold and uncaring profession.

What is your view on psychotherapy and therapy in general? Do you hold the same view for this or is it just the medicinal and research side you dislike?

Not wanting to make the situation worse, but throwing around your fallacy ridden points on something you clearly cannot take an objective viewpoint of is just insulting to those who have embraced the good parts of psychiatry to help themselves, myself included.

The terms good and bad are subjective and relative.

Just take a moment to think about what psychiatry is, and how your experiences may differ to someone elses.

Just take a moment to think about what psychiatry is, and how your experiences may differ to someone elses.

Good and bad don't exist. Who doesn't know that?

Psychiatry is merely a tool to punish, which is why it was invented and why it still persists. Are you suggesting otherwise?

You seem angry, but why take out that anger on people who are in this forum to give support, not psychiatric support to fellow suffers of emotional and mental distress? We are not your enemy

it's my right to hate psychiatry. Who are you to say otherwise?

quote- 'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it'

Are you suggesting I can't disagree with you- in which case, who are YOU to say that I can't or that I can't ask you why you hate psychiatry? But that's NOT what I'm asking, as I believe you do have the right to hate it.

Nobody said that it wasn't your right, nobody tried to stop you hating psychiatry, but surely you accept that, since you have posted, we all have the right to disagree, question you and put our point forward. If you can't accept that, posting wasn't the best idea. If you didn't want comments then putting this in venting or in a blog would've been a better idea.

I am interested on what your evidence is for all your points, cold, solid evidence. What is your personal evidence with psychiatrists?

Some are rubbish yes. but not all.

Psychiatry in the UK is frankly evil, and the following points denote why:

- Why don't mental health professionals actually understand how society is structured? Many of them still believe it's the 1950s and that the same values apply. Most even think that modern values are a pathology, yet is there evidence for this?

- Psychiatrists pick and choose who to treat well, based on flippant criteria of being "nice".

- Psychiatrists believe that atheism is an illness, and distrust patients who are not religious

- Psychiatrists seek to punish patients, which is the reason they enter the profession. If somebody has cancer, then doctors would compassionately assist them, but not seek to punish them.

Why can't psychiatry be outlawed? Why do we need it?

And what even characterises "mental illness"? Maybe psychiatrists who don't get the society THEY LIVE IN are mentally ill.

Genuine question. Have you met every psychiatrist that there is, and can speak for every psychiatrist going?

it's my right to hate psychiatry. Who are you to say otherwise?

Kitsune did not say anywhere in their post that you had no right to hate psychiatry.

I guess that this is your experience, but hey its not everyone. What u wrote i think maybe u need to explain more on ur experience for us to understand. I could write a post about police is worst thing around? What would be the response?

illuminator...I've had similar thoughts myself regarding pschotherapy...just a way of dealing with the people who society doesn't know how to accomodate.

I had a boyfrined once who's psychotherapist ended the session in the middle of him reliving the most traumatic experience of his life. I also had a panic attack after seeing a psychotherapist. I'd never had one before that!

I think sometimes psychotherapists really get it wrong and do more harm then help, but that is not always the case. I don't think these people are as vindictive as we sometimes feel that they are.

I would be really interested to know why you think this way. You must have had an experience that caused you to feel the way you do.

illuminator...I've had similar thoughts myself regarding pschotherapy...just a way of dealing with the people who society doesn't know how to accomodate.

I had a boyfrined once who's psychotherapist ended the session in the middle of him reliving the most traumatic experience of his life. I also had a panic attack after seeing a psychotherapist. I'd never had one before that!

I think sometimes psychotherapists really get it wrong and do more harm then help, but that is not always the case. I don't think these people are as vindictive as we sometimes feel that they are.

I would be really interested to know why you think this way. You must have had an experience that caused you to feel the way you do.

Well, for a few main reasons:

- They don't hold a clue about society and how people behave

- They mock their patients personalities and thoughts/beliefs

- They have some sense to control their patients and make them behest to them.

If you just keep stating your opinion without evidence then there is no room for reasonable debate, its not like your even using examples of your personal experiences to explain yourself.

Is there any point?

Who are mental health professionals to say I am nothing and won't amount to anything? Who are they to say I cannot be a non-theist?

And you say I hold no right to say to disapprove of them? Do you understand how people behave?

aaaaand we have come full circle people. Full circle. Nobody here said you had no right, those words were not spoken, nobody is contesting your right, at all.

You hate them so much? Why not prove them wrong? They said you couldn't be a non theist? Then go and be a non theist. If you don't like how they've tried to work with you- don't work with them. Walk away.

You can disapprove of them, but do you expect other people to hate them? Because that's not a likelihood, other people have stated their evidence for why they disagree, however you have given no solid evidence to support your beliefs. One of them said you won't amount to anything- that's rubbish, but thats one professional. Don't use one or two experiences as a template for an entire profession- that is a disservice to the individuals who do care for people. Denouncing the beliefs and experiences of people who have had positive relatons with those in the field of mental health is not only disrespectful but very questionable- and these actions are akin to your image of the professionals of which you complain. Coming onto a public forum to debate, I'm presuming debate, means that other people are allowed to question freely the points that you make, providing balanced arguments for why they believe what they believe, we have yet to see a similarly balanced argument in support of your statement. Do you understand how people behave?

If you just wanted to vent and not allow other people's comments then you should have put this in the venting section.

I'm interested to know what you are getting out of this?

never in the 5 years i've been treated has my religion come in to it! I've discussed it with people openly and they've never had an issue with my atheism so i struggle to see where your statement comes from

aaaaand we have come full circle people. Full circle. Nobody here said you had no right, those words were not spoken, nobody is contesting your right, at all.

You hate them so much? Why not prove them wrong? They said you couldn't be a non theist? Then go and be a non theist. If you don't like how they've tried to work with you- don't work with them. Walk away.

You can disapprove of them, but do you expect other people to hate them? Because that's not a likelihood, other people have stated their evidence for why they disagree, however you have given no solid evidence to support your beliefs. One of them said you won't amount to anything- that's rubbish, but thats one professional. Don't use one or two experiences as a template for an entire profession- that is a disservice to the individuals who do care for people. Denouncing the beliefs and experiences of people who have had positive relatons with those in the field of mental health is not only disrespectful but very questionable- and these actions are akin to your image of the professionals of which you complain. Coming onto a public forum to debate, I'm presuming debate, means that other people are allowed to question freely the points that you make, providing balanced arguments for why they believe what they believe, we have yet to see a similarly balanced argument in support of your statement. Do you understand how people behave?

If you just wanted to vent and not allow other people's comments then you should have put this in the venting section.

You're saying I cannot say what I want, and are dismissing my points.

I do understand how people behave, and unlike psychiatrists I realise that people hold no absolute duty to heed what they say.

You know if you react to psychiatrists the way you do to us which is not really listening and interpreting things in a very odd off way then maybe therein lies your issue.

Truly Astounding.

What is your goal for this post?

Is it to open our eyes? Is it to convert people? Is it to rant at injustice done to you? Is it a bet? Is it for fun? Are you perhaps a rep for a leading pharmaceutical company and when you've raised enough people's blood pressure you'll start pushing tablets to lower it?

So who are you? God? ... :bum:

... Are you God? 0_o#

Archived