Mental Health Forums

Are There Any Mental Health Professionals On This Forum?

illuminator

Illuminator - do you think that this forum is full of mental health professionals? It isn't. I know that there is a part of the site which you can subscribe to for support but these forums are for individual people who choose to join and share their problems and life stories. This place is full of kind, helpful people who support each other. We don't come here to start a fight or attack each other. You sound angry and pissed off at the world and your treatment at the hands of mental health professionals. A lot of people will understand that and will give you support here but could you maybe tell us a bit more about what has happened to make you so angry? I am not a mental health professional - just someone who has been given a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder, who has found this site really helpful and supportive when I have felt sad, lonely, depressed, angry, etc.

Mental health professionals cannot relate to patients since they don't get society.

They push religion onto their patients and dislike anybody who is non-religious.

they pick and choose who receives good treatment.

This is more than enough reason to hate mental health professionals.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If there are, can I pose some questions to you?

Why do you not understand how UK society is structured? Why do you presume that the values of the 1950s still apply in society?

Why do you detest anti-theism? Can't you separate your personal beliefs from your professional judgments?

Why do you detest UK society in general and believe its norms are illnesses? if you hate the country so much, why not simply leave?

Why do you believe mental patients must be punished, but cry out in horror if a cancer patient is "punished?

Why do you make so many assumptions and generalisations?

I second Manja;s question and like to add that what youre doing is indeed very generalizing.

You cannot say of any group of people,any race,sex,proffession etc that theyre ALL a certain way.Just like regular people mental health professionals come in all shapes and forms.

I would make two observations about the points you are making, illuminator.

Firstly, you seem to be touching on the areas of labelling theory and cultural iatrogenesis; however, you have flipped those two theories on their head- the whole crux of them is that in order for a particular society to function smoothly, those members of it who do not contribute effectively, or whose behaviour works against the best interests of the societal group, can be labelled as "deviant" in some way by those in positions of power and "treated" so as to bring them into line with the majority.

Therefore, the heirarchy- in this case the mental health professionals, understand society perfectly well and will diagnose and treat those who fall outside of that society's accepted norms of behaviour.

I should point out that I don't advocate this theory- I'm merely describing it. So if you want to bring "society" into the argument, you have to first be very clear what you mean by that word.

Secondly, on the subject of religion, a very strong religious conviction can be regarded by MH professionals as a delusion which, if observed together with other signs and symptoms, could indicate a psychosis. In fact, strong, obsessive religious belief is cited in DSM-IV as a symptom in a number of psychotic illnesses.

So again you appear to have flipped this one on its head- far from "pushing" religion onto patients, psychiatrists look for it in patients as a possible sign of mental illness.

I am left wondering if perhaps you have had a particular personal experience at the hands of the mental health system that in your case was unhelpful, but, in fact, was not a fair reflection of the profession as a whole?

Oh, and I am not a MH professional btw, although I did used to work with a client group which had a high incidence of mental illness within it.

Illuminator, You have been patientally invited and encouraged to share what has made you hate ALL mental health professionals by various people on this forum. You won't do that - instead you just make wild, general statements. What is it you want exactly?

Well I think psychologists have some agenda to change society. If they do, then why not professional footballers? Can Rooney or Aguero say how society should operate? Why not signers (I'll look out for Adele saying how society should be)? Why not actors? I guess Sir Patrick Stewart or Sir Ben Kingsley will be saying how things will be then?

I read all of these studies in the media, about how psychologists want to push stupid ideology onto society. Why then has the traditional edict of not intefering with social processes been breached? Why this change in basic ethics?

What? Where have you been reading this stuff? Have you checked the sources properly?

I think youre moving around in the realm of conspiracy theories here.

What studies? Have you got the link and i'll read it? Cos i'm lost.

I am a "conspiracy theorist", and i've not heard of this one. Unless you've been watching Scientology videos aka CCHR?

lol.. There was this bra study in the news recently. It's clearly some scientist who made that up, to try to push society into how s/he wants it to be.

And all the time, psychologists tell people to be "humble" and spiritual. I couldn't give a crap about "spirituality", so why are else are they insisting that people do this, other than to push agendas? lol...

perhaps it was a study about push up bras

anyway i am a mental health professional, not practicing now. but you dont offend with your comments as they are so far fetched, would say delusional but thats a bit medical eh.

They are doing this because more and more research shows that people that are for instance into meditating,feel calmer,more peacefull,better able to handle stress,depression etc

perhaps it was a study about push up bras

anyway i am a mental health professional, not practicing now. but you dont offend with your comments as they are so far fetched, would say delusional but thats a bit medical eh.

Ah. So why do you condone and frankly allow the bad practices of your "profession"?

They are doing this because more and more research shows that people that are for instance into meditating,feel calmer,more peacefull,better able to handle stress,depression etc

Really? Don't project the values of your social circle onto others. Nobody I know meditates.

Illuminator seems to think that this forum is filled with mental health professionals.. oh and we are all expected to mind-read and understand the running script going on in his/her brain. Why ARE you here? It seems to me that you aren't here to discuss or even debate... just to argue and attack.

Lilly why are you allowing this to lurk under the bridge???

Oh and whatever you have to say to me.. just DONT. I won't engage.

I'm a qualified psychiatrist and I have collaborated and colluded with my other psychiatrist 'brethren' as I like to call them to make sure we all keep people in line. We decide the social norms; its strange to see someone who actually notices.

There is nothing you can do to stop us, we are the alpha and the omega. You are merely a puppet in the plan, just accept it. We can make you happy.

I'm a qualified psychiatrist and I have collaborated and colluded with my other psychiatrist 'brethren' as I like to call them to make sure we all keep people in line. We decide the social norms; its strange to see someone who actually notices.

There is nothing you can do to stop us, we are the alpha and the omega. You are merely a puppet in the plan, just accept it. We can make you happy.

lol. This should really set him or her off now :D

*bows down*

Well mental health professionals are evil, and perpetuate a false discipline. this is no new news.

Total proof, your argument is valid.

Perhaps the word should be spread, outside in the wider world, I'm not sure that staying on one little mental health forum is enough, surely there are other, bigger, places that could benefit from having their eyes opened?

Illuminator has a right to his opinions. And posting them if he wishes to do so.

Im thinking Im going to stop responding though as reasoning is not really possible is it?

Illuminator, how do you feel to have your beliefs, values, and norms challenged by a professional?

Can you give a specific example, of what has happened between you and your mental health professional?

I can see you have had a difficult experience.

Keep on this topic seems pointless. People have answered the questions but i myself actually think the person hasa problem and lilly u fell into it. Thats my thought. If the person had any questions they would of talked more themselves and there experience but to me this person is out for whatever gain they want. sick? whatever? need help? maybe own up to what problems they have.

Illuminator, how do you feel to have your beliefs, values, and norms challenged by a professional?

Can you give a specific example, of what has happened between you and your mental health professional?

It depends what one means by challenge. If somebody I know is a devout Christian, it doesn't mean I can force him or her to renounce those beliefs. Basic social skills frankly dictate that if people hold something dear or believe something sternly, then criticism of such things leads to conflict. Also, no human being is a God, and thus holds the right to dictate how others value or reason, do they?

A mental health professional's job is not even to "tell" what a person should or shouldn't think anyhow. Where do they get this "right" from?

It depends what one means by challenge. If somebody I know is a devout Christian, it doesn't mean I can force him or her to renounce those beliefs. Basic social skills frankly dictate that if people hold something dear or believe something sternly, then criticism of such things leads to conflict. Also, no human being is a God, and thus holds the right to dictate how others value or reason, do they?

A mental health professional's job is not even to "tell" what a person should or shouldn't think anyhow. Where do they get this "right" from?

So, how did you feel when the mental health professional spoke to you?

Can you say what it is that you were 'told' that you should or shouldnt think.

So, how did you feel when the mental health professional spoke to you?

Can you say what it is that you were 'told' that you should or shouldnt think.

Told what? :Unless being told I "should" be religious is acceptable by them. if you wish to condone bad practice, that's your business.

Archived