Mental Health Forums

Are There Any Mental Health Professionals On This Forum?

illuminator

Well, I hate psychiatrists for the following reasons:

- They don't have a clue as to how society is structured.

- They tell their patients that they'll never amount to anything and are nothing and don't mean much.

- They continually say in the media and press that life is a drag and that being humble is the key to coping with it. yet they earn big money, and probably live in a large house with an expensive car lol...

- They are abusive of patients' personalities and value systems, and have very shallow and uneducated views on life.

- They misguidedly believe that everybody in UK society is religious, and think people who are non-theists are politically persecuted in our country.

- They don't understand basic social norms. They think that merely because people see/visit them, they must be held in the similar esteem to one's mother or girlfriend or something.

Psychiatrists have all told me these things.

And what's more, they as a profession are rejecting their own ethical standards. They continually attempt to pry into things that are beyond their professional purview. No medical professional, no matter their branch or specialty, holds a right to comment on, question, denounce or prevent a person from doing something that does not hold an impact on their health or wellbeing. It seems many doctors/medical professionals these days are attempting to do that, which is a major reason why I consider psychiatrists evil.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

perhaps it was a study about push up bras

anyway i am a mental health professional, not practicing now. but you dont offend with your comments as they are so far fetched, would say delusional but thats a bit medical eh.

It's not delusional, but fact. And it's not your place to say what I want. You're no God.

I believe that mental health professionals simply wish to have a petty sense of control over their patients, yet purport themselves to be so good and saintly. You people don't even get the society you live, yet you claim to understand the workings of the mind and human behaviour. lol...

And another thing to add to my initial point. This may be deemed prejudiced by some, but for what's it's worth I am not white myself.

I feel many non-white practitioners are the worst in this respect. As they come from cultures with different value systems, they often translate their norms and beliefs without considering how people here in the UK behave. It seems the medical community doesn't provide them with any training into cultural differences and/or norms. for instance, one of them told my girlfriend once that one should dress "prim and proper" lol.. what does that mean? he was from Nigeria and had supposedly lived in the UK for 20 years. Another (this time from Pakistan) told me that looking at sport too much is "not healthy" and I need "solitude and reflection". I personally don't believe in that, so it's not their place to tell me or my girlfriend how to behave.

Somebody may say "you think too liberally". So? isn't it said that people think differently? and aren't the actions of modern society based on that? Who holds any specific right to say what a person can or cannot do? The only true restrictions in a human being's life are the laws of nature/physics, and the social norms and laws of society. If a neighbour of mine grows tomatoes in his back garden, I cannot tell him not to do so, as I am not an agent of the state. I think people who oppose this kind of reasoning are merely resentful that they grew up under lots of unjustified restrictions.

Illuminator, You have been patientally invited and encouraged to share what has made you hate ALL mental health professionals by various people on this forum. You won't do that - instead you just make wild, general statements. What is it you want exactly?

I've said why a few posts up.

I'm sure you'll dispute them, but I doubt if you see somebody wearing a blue shirt, you'll tell them not to wear that.

Are you giving literal quotes or your interpretations of things that where said?

Where these people registered psychiatrists/therapists? You might be able to file a complaint about some of these things you say they said. Telling you youre no good and will amount to nothing for instance,that is bad,very very bad practice.

I can understand that if you had these bad experiences you now believe theyre all bad.They certainly sound bad.

I wish you could understand however that you've apperantly had a lot of bad luck and psychiatry as a whole is not perse a bad thing,in fact many people are genuinely helped by good psychiatrists.

Perhaps I could try a different tack illuminator, if I may.

How do you think the MH system should diagnose and treat suffers, different to how it operates now? To what extent does the system have the right to override a person's freedom of choice in the interests of their own safety? And who should make those decisions?

I do think you raise some very fundamental questions, but with the greatest of respect, I don't think you're necessarily making your view, and the reasons for it, entirely clear. I hope you take no offense by me saying that.

FYI, I had a terrible psychiatrist some years ago- most times I saw him he struggled to even remember who I was!- however, the MH system as a whole has been of great help to me at times.

Then. Stay. Away. From. Them.

Infact as long as what you are doing is not likely to hurt or kill anyone else then you're not going to come into contact with any professionals which you hate.

Is someone forcing you to see a psychiatrist? Are you being stalked by jehova's witnesses who are employed by the psychiatrists who demand you be religious? Are you being forced to read books on CBT, perhaps in some kind of Clockwork Orange style torture?

If that's the case you should call the police

... unless you hate the police.

Infact as long as what you are doing is not likely to hurt or kill anyone else then you're not going to come into contact with any professionals which you hate.

Is someone forcing you to see a psychiatrist? Are you being stalked by jehova's witnesses who are employed by the psychiatrists who demand you be religious? Are you being forced to read books on CBT, perhaps in some kind of Clockwork Orange style torture?

People hurt others all the time. Are murderers mentally ill? not per se. see, this is why psychiatry is false. it's frankly filled of people like you who seek to persecute and limit others. Your definition of mental illness is a silly one.

And you're so dismissive of what people say, but you then believe they must hold optimum respect for you lol... I know you and how people like you think.

How do you think the MH system should diagnose and treat suffers, different to how it operates now? To what extent does the system have the right to override a person's freedom of choice in the interests of their own safety? And who should make those decisions?

I do think you raise some very fundamental questions, but with the greatest of respect, I don't think you're necessarily making your view, and the reasons for it, entirely clear. I hope you take no offense by me saying that.

FYI, I had a terrible psychiatrist some years ago- most times I saw him he struggled to even remember who I was!- however, the MH system as a whole has been of great help to me at times.

By basic medical ethics. No abuse, respect for the individual and his or her own thoughts, no forcing morals or ideology onto patients, and no encroaching onto his or her life that don't affect wellbeing or the potential to do so. this is how medical professionals themselves say they operate. A GP has no more right to push religion onto his or patients than a psychiatrist does.

Are you giving literal quotes or your interpretations of things that where said?

Where these people registered psychiatrists/therapists? You might be able to file a complaint about some of these things you say they said. Telling you youre no good and will amount to nothing for instance,that is bad,very very bad practice.

I can understand that if you had these bad experiences you now believe theyre all bad.They certainly sound bad.

I wish you could understand however that you've apperantly had a lot of bad luck and psychiatry as a whole is not perse a bad thing,in fact many people are genuinely helped by good psychiatrists.

Also, what perchance is this "good help"?

By basic medical ethics. No abuse, respect for the individual and his or her own thoughts, no forcing morals or ideology onto patients, and no encroaching onto his or her life that don't affect wellbeing or the potential to do so. this is how medical professionals themselves say they operate. A GP has no more right to push religion onto his or patients than a psychiatrist does.

I don't think there's too much to disagree with there. However, you are using very broad brush strokes in your definition.

Now, on and off, I've been in contact with the MH system as both a in- and out-patient for over 25 years. For 2 years I was vice-chair of our local service user forum, set up to listen to, and represent the views of MH service users in my area.

In the last 8-9 years, I worked in substance misuse as part of a multi-disciplinary team that included a prescribing doctor, a clinical psychologist, an AMHP and several psychiatric nurses. During that time I joint-worked a number of dually diagnosed clients (both mental illness and substance misuse) who were under the care of the CMHT.

In all that time, as a service user, service user representative and, latterly, as a professional, I have never experienced any mental health professional attempt to "push" a religion, morality or philosophy on me, or any of my clients. Never.

I have come into contact with MH professionals who, in my humble opinion, were not particularly skilled, caring or dedicated, but you find that in any sphere of professional life- it would be wrong, and quite naive, to base your opinion of the profession as a whole on the performance of one or two sub-standard individuals.

I would say that the MH profession as a whole would agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of how they should operate, and would furthermore contest that they do, indeed, strive to abide by those principals.

I have seen no evidence personally that they don't do that. Clearly you have yourself- but straight away my personal experience might at the very least suggest that yours may well have been an aberration, and that it does not reflect the values and practices of the MH profession as a whole.

I should also add that I am a firm, committed atheist- and quite open about it! And that has never proved to be an issue in my dealings with professionals.

This happened ten years ago and youre clinging onto this experience and your anger obsessively it seems to me.

If my dentist pulls the wrong tooth does that mean all dentists are incompetent???

People hurt others all the time. Are murderers mentally ill? not per se. see, this is why psychiatry is false. it's frankly filled of people like you who seek to persecute and limit others. Your definition of mental illness is a silly one.

And you're so dismissive of what people say, but you then believe they must hold optimum respect for you lol... I know you and how people like you think.

You're a hypocrite, but then again we are all hypocrites here- myself included, I accept that.

However, if you think that you can tell who a person is and how they think from a few posts on a forum then you're sadly mistaken. You are attempting to dehumanise and dismiss someone- something which you yourself hate in the professionals you are raging against.

Have you ever thought you may be hurting people here with the heavy handed way in which you are interacting with them? If you look over your posts you will see that a lot of people have been upset and angered by, not what you have said, but how you have said it.

They have tried to see your point of view, have invited you to discuss things politely with them, asked you on more than one occasion to elaborate, they have even offered up parts of themselves and their experiences- something not to be taken lightly. But often you have dismissed their ideas quite rudely and hurt them- have you considered that the way people are now replying to you is reactionary? And so in your approach you have missed a chance to get your point across, which is a shame. I think it's indicative of not understanding how others work.

You're a hypocrite, but then again we are all hypocrites here- myself included, I accept that.

However, if you think that you can tell who a person is and how they think from a few posts on a forum then you're sadly mistaken. You are attempting to dehumanise and dismiss someone- something which you yourself hate in the professionals you are raging against.

Have you ever thought you may be hurting people here with the heavy handed way in which you are interacting with them? If you look over your posts you will see that a lot of people have been upset and angered by, not what you have said, but how you have said it.

They have tried to see your point of view, have invited you to discuss things politely with them, asked you on more than one occasion to elaborate, they have even offered up parts of themselves and their experiences- something not to be taken lightly. But often you have dismissed their ideas quite rudely and hurt them- have you considered that the way people are now replying to you is reactionary? And so in your approach you have missed a chance to get your point across, which is a shame. I think it's indicative of not understanding how others work.

Most human beings are inconsistent, so I cannot help if I am, it's human lol..

I may have been offensive to some here, but that's not my intent. My intent is to expose psychiatry for what it is.

When you want to expose something, you should write what you want to expose in a clear and concise manner and also add links to sources of factual information and research as evidence, so people can go and look for themselves and form thier own opinions on the information put forward.

Anecdotal ramblings don't really cut it, neither does trying to force your own beliefs onto others. Which you seem highly against people doing to yourself.

wow is this really still going?

no one's guna change anyone's minds and the same things just keep being said over and over, plus people seem to be getting really worked up.

have avoided the topic cos it's irritating but now it's irritating that i keep seeing it in my thread, so i thought i'd have my share.

to sum up....im irritated.

lol

Illuminator - do you think that this forum is full of mental health professionals? It isn't. I know that there is a part of the site which you can subscribe to for support but these forums are for individual people who choose to join and share their problems and life stories. This place is full of kind, helpful people who support each other. We don't come here to start a fight or attack each other. You sound angry and pissed off at the world and your treatment at the hands of mental health professionals. A lot of people will understand that and will give you support here but could you maybe tell us a bit more about what has happened to make you so angry? I am not a mental health professional - just someone who has been given a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder, who has found this site really helpful and supportive when I have felt sad, lonely, depressed, angry, etc.

Mental health professionals cannot relate to patients since they don't get society.

They push religion onto their patients and dislike anybody who is non-religious.

they pick and choose who receives good treatment.

This is more than enough reason to hate mental health professionals.

Illuminator-it sounds like you've perhaps had some bad experiences with the mental health system.

If it wasn't for the mental health system I would be dead and my baby would have no mother.

I'll admit it-some professionals are a waste of space but most are worth their salt. My CPN is not in to religeon at all-she dislikes it infact. I think she does get society. She tells me about stuff going on in her family to relate it back to me and if she didn't give a shit she wouldn't have offered to come and pick me up and bring me to the hospital to see the doctor when I was in crisis and not safe to drive.

I am grateful to these people (not all of them-some of them are a waste of space) who helped me when I couldn't and wouldn't help myself-they have never given up on me when I did. xxx

Best wishes to you and I hope you find some peace and perhaps forgivness x

Illuminator - do you think that this forum is full of mental health professionals? It isn't. I know that there is a part of the site which you can subscribe to for support but these forums are for individual people who choose to join and share their problems and life stories. This place is full of kind, helpful people who support each other. We don't come here to start a fight or attack each other. You sound angry and pissed off at the world and your treatment at the hands of mental health professionals. A lot of people will understand that and will give you support here but could you maybe tell us a bit more about what has happened to make you so angry? I am not a mental health professional - just someone who has been given a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder, who has found this site really helpful and supportive when I have felt sad, lonely, depressed, angry, etc.

Mental health professionals cannot relate to patients since they don't get society.

They push religion onto their patients and dislike anybody who is non-religious.

they pick and choose who receives good treatment.

This is more than enough reason to hate mental health professionals.

Illuminator-it sounds like you've perhaps had some bad experiences with the mental health system.

If it wasn't for the mental health system I would be dead and my baby would have no mother.

I'll admit it-some professionals are a waste of space but most are worth their salt. My CPN is not in to religeon at all-she dislikes it infact. I think she does get society. She tells me about stuff going on in her family to relate it back to me and if she didn't give a shit she wouldn't have offered to come and pick me up and bring me to the hospital to see the doctor when I was in crisis and not safe to drive.

I am grateful to these people (not all of them-some of them are a waste of space) who helped me when I couldn't and wouldn't help myself-they have never given up on me when I did. xxx

Best wishes to you and I hope you find some peace and perhaps forgivness x

Most? you mean a few.

Archived