Mental Health Forums

Does Venlafaxine Cause Suicidal Feelings ?

berenger

I'm on venlafaxine and olanzapine. I think i read somewhere that venlafaxine can cause suicidal feelings. Not sure if they meant when you first take it or just in general.

I am having lots of suicidal feelings and its worrying me. The thing is venlafaxine is horrid to come off. If i don't take it even for a day i get really light headed and dizzy.

Does anyone else have experience of venlafaxine ?.

oin general it's listed as a side effect when you first start it and it should wear off however in some people it might not in which case you need to see your gp. have you had them constantly since you started it or is it a recent thing?

I've come off venlafaxine and thankfuly my pdoc had the foresight to give me something else while i tapered off

It got rid of my depression related sui feelings and replaced them with anxiety which makes me want to cut more... but it's helping me...what dose you on and how long you been on it for?

Hi, was on it a few times over the years. Yeah it's a bitch to come off, I found it impossible to taper in increments of 75mg (the lowest strenght the capsule came i then) even with opening the capsules up and dividing the little balls into piles. My psych gave me prozac to even out the taper , as it's way easier to come off due to its long half-life.

I would get horrible electric - shock type sensations in my limbs and a feeling of water sloshing in my head if I was as much as an hour late with my daily pill.

I stayed on it so long because it was a bit 'speedy' and helped keep my weight down. Also because I didn't believe I would be able to get off as the w'drawl symptoms for me were severe and I am a baby like that with w/drawls.

And I found it increased my anxiety a lot. That's my experience of the stuff anyway, maybe you could switch to another med/ or taper off if you're not happy?

How long are you on it? Would your prescribing Dr give you time for a chat about how its not suiting you? Best wishes.

i'm on 225 mg and i've been on them for about two years.

i dread having to come off them. They are a pain if you don't take them for even a day.

I am just fed up of suicidal feelings.

Archived