Mental Health Forums

What About An Eating Disorder That Is Just The Opposite?

cherri2082

Why when you are fat and could eat yourself to death no one cares..........but not eating is so scary? I dont mean to be rude but...........i would love not to weigh 260 lbs and hate to look in a mirror for real

This is still considered an eating disorder. Such as binge-eating disorder. So people do care because it is recognised and there is treatment available for this disorder just like other eating disorders.

Umm, I may have got my wires crossed here but you seem to be implying with the "for real" remark at the end, that you don't believe people suffering with eating disorders who are normal or underweight don't actually hate themselves when they look in the mirror?

If this is the case I can assure you you are mistaken. Body image distortion is part and parcel of eating disorders. Many eating disorder patients hate what they see in the mirror, regardless of their weight.

I'm a binge eater...

You don't even have to be over-weight to have this eating disorder. At present, i'm considered relatively slim (not perfect, but you wouldn't look at me in clothes and ever see the fat and say "she has a weight problem") thanks to Topamax. Sometimes the binge eating is just hormonal, but often it's to fill a void, and it's emotional eating. Today I ate nothing but junk food. I stayed in bed all day and ate and ate and ate... CRAP. You eat until you feel sick, and then you keep going, because it tastes good, and sometimes you don't even know why. Sometimes because it's a compulsion, because whatever is there just has to be finished. I don't puke it back up, nor do I go through starvation periods.

For a while, Topamax stopped this... but right now, I have PMS, and i'm very down, and nothing can take it away but binging.

Wellbutrin helps with binge eating too, but that's a serious "fuck-you-up" drug. I'm even considering it again... just to lose a few more pounds and to stop the compulsive binging.

• 3 weeks later...

I totally understand how you feel. When I first put weight on I went to the doctor to ask for help and they just said to exercise and watch what I eat. I have been to an eating disorder clinic and it did not help me at all. I really hate being fat and now summer is here I feel even worse. How do we stop eating so much and how do we help ourselves?

Have you tried joining slimming world?

Hi LS- i just spoke to you on another forum- summer does suck and i live on the beach! But i still put my suit on and walk the beach everyday. No one cares. No one has time to look at me. I am an older woman. 57. I am interested in your binging - i have so much problems with this and have tried everything from not buying groceries to trying to throw up!

As Bliss said, that's still an eating disorder and it's a very well known one, just not talked about as much as probably anorexia is. I'm anorexic and I can tell you, I don't even need to look in a mirror. I feel really fat all the time and I think I look fat too, to everyone else I'm a skeleton but to me I see and feel myself as really fat. No eating disorder is exactly fun.. Not eating is considered scary because its starving your body and damaging your organs, people don't realise what they're doing until they're in a very bad situation. Im sorry you feel this way but I think all eating disorders are just as important :)

I owe you an apology- when i re-read i sound very self involved. I am trying to understand- we all have body image issues. I have lost a few lbs and have just gotten home from a couple days in the hospital. Hopefully a new start!!!!

Thats okay Cherri :-) Sorry if I sounded a bit rude or something, didn't mean for it to come out like that. Sorry to hear you were in hospital, I hope this is the road to recovery for you and I wish you all the best of luck. :D xx

Gosh how awful to have to live in the beach with all those slim people in bikinis! I really would have to move if I had to live there. Have you ever been to an eating disorder clinic about the binge eating? Some say it helps them.

I binge eat. I am 136kg - 300 pounds. Binge eating is a comfort to me when I am stressed and lonely. It is also better than drinking a bottle of whisky. However, binge eating is bad for your health and self-esteem.

It sure is bad for your self esteem. It makes you feel rubbish and it can be hard to find clothes too which adds to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm never happy. I went into work last year and told my bosses outright I intended to starve myself to death. I lost 4 stone in 3 months. Admittedly I was in the grip of a bad coke addiction at the time, but bizarrely I was ecstatic about how I looked. I hadn't been so slim for years, old suits fitted again, it was great. Then I got off all drugs and fell madly in love. The weight starting going back on. I was happy. But I was sad at the same time. Weight only goes to my tummy. I'm not fat by any means, but I love being stick thin. I'm drinking a lot atm, and beer is so calorific. Lattes don't help either. I only eat once a day, if at all. Starvation is really messed up. I've gone whole weeks without anything. Can see me doing so again in the near future. I must stop drinking, I know that. I looked great at Christmas, and look like shit now. I don't know what the moral of this story is. Maybe my life is a yardstick of how not to live your own lives :D

I am overweight due to binge eating though I have since overcome the binge eating I haven't lost the weight.

I wish more psychological therapy was available for this as I think that's what people who binge need, dieting etc doesn't work people end up jojo-ing, the underlying issues need to be addressed. I was lucky to receive this treatment and it worked well for me.

Lily

Last week was my birthday and i received a coupon for a pedicure. While enjoying it today the tech began to tell me how much healthieri would be if i weighed 130 lbs ( i dont know how many stones) and how much easier on my knees. Can you believe this? I was so fucking embarrased and mad.......i couldnt wait to get out of there. Another day of being humiliated and told how fat i am.....

Thank you for the hug- a bag of cookies and where do we start again? Who can help? Who stops the pain? Who can help me with wanting to cut the pounds off

• 3 weeks later...

Here i am almost 1 month later- 10 pounds lighter- 5 inches smaller and i feel like a new.person. i walk 2 miles a.day. i wonder how long this up swing will last????? Having bi-polar pretty much under control and a great therapist gives me good hope that this could be the last time i loose the same 50 pounds..

Well done Cherri! That is a great acheivement! So glad you feel so much better, I hope this continues and you feel even better! Good luck! :D x

Just wanted to add I'm overweight too!!

I'm bulimic

I hate what I see in the mirror

Your not alone with body image xx

Archived