Mental Health Forums

Stopping Meds... Advice Please!

AppleCrumble

I know whenever someone suggests that they stop their medication everyone says no, and to go and see the doctor... and I know that seems sensible...

My GP let me go onto the venlafaxine, when the two psychiatrists who I saw said they'd take me off it (pretty sure that was to make my assessment and the therapy more useful as I definitely was in need of something)

The addictive part of me, that loves my pretty little pills, which are actually making me feel a lot better, naturally doesn't want me to stop. The logical part of me is thinking that if I go into the therapy, which starts at the end of May/Start of June, then I'll miss out on the full benefits of being able to bring along with me all the problematic behaviours/issues I've faced during the week due to my behaviour/thoughts/feelings/bpd/personality etc... I think overall, and in the grand scheme/10 years down the line, I'd benefit more from therapy if I'm a bit iller than I am at present (although not completely suicidal/unable to function)

So... do I stop or at least reduce the venlafaxine (pretty sure I won't get any side effects as I missed the dose once and it didn't give me any brain zaps or weird stuff), felt a little low.. but that was about it... so I can feel more, but at the risk of it kinda messing up with me now being back at voluntary work, moving house, a report due in very soon at work etc etc... and of course, although my relationship with hubby is still non sexual and not very close and maybe it's because I'm out more, that I'm less able to be irritated by him, but I feel bad purposefully becoming iller and being more irritable and more of a twat towards him...

Plus, I worry that if I do stop or reduce the venlafaxine, that when I want to try to go back on it and increase the dose up again, then it will not work... and I'm on my last anti-depressant (apparently I've tried all the others!)

What do you think? It's a tricky one :-/

which illness do you have? I think some have more success with meds than others personally but for me I went off mine and am managing without mh drugs....but I don't recommend this to everyone obviously only people who feel it will work and have a plan/know they will use skills or other things etc

Complex mixed personality disorder, with the main traits being bpd, avoidant and schizotypal. Psychiatrist said I wasn't suffering depression but I was constantly suicidal for ages. I'm 23 now and have been ill since I was 12/13. Started the antideps 4years ago ish some helped, trazodone and this one. The others havent. Xxx

well it's a really tough call but there are things to consider

you could make a pros and cons about being on meds to start

you could do a trial without meds (safely wein off though- especially for trazadone actually cuz I was on that one for fibro pain and they never told me I had to be weined off of it and I had horrible night sweats for like a month after that)

that way if you do a trial you could do a diary card or something to record your progress and look back to how you are doing....if you feel you have really slipped you coulld talk to your doc about re-introducing meds

I think it also depends why do you want to stop taking them? is it cuz of side effects and cuz they are not working or is it because you are not getting your needs met in terms of intimacy (I don't mean romantic intimacy I mean general) or something and then you are hoping that by making yourself vulnerable it will bring out the nurturers around you type thing, etc....cuz that could be really problematic

It's a tough call because sometimes when your in a bad place, your no longer receptive to therapy. Often the treatment is medication for a little while first, so you will actually benifit from therapy in the long run.You don't want to end up coming off your meds and then find that you don't find therapy useful because your head just wont comprehend the methods/therapy exercises you'll be asked to do.

I can totally understand your reasoning for wanting to come off them but it's definately not a cut and dry answer.

I think treatment as in therapy will not be less good on this med. Its a regular anti d not a high dose severe anti p that totally numbs or whatever. You say its the only med that worked for you, thats important. If you crash therapy will be even harder and probably consist of crisis management instead of actually getting somewhere.

The best successes in treatment are often reached on a combo of meds and therapy.

I am not perse against quitting but your reasoning does not convince me this is a good idea,however its obviously your choice not mine!

ive always been told, and thought myself, that the best combination is medication AND therapy. i agree with what lily says, its not a strong anti-p that numbs you, ive been on venlafaxine and it doesnt really alter your thinking so it shouldnt really be a problem. personally think if its helping you then stopping taking it seems counterproductive. maybe your only in the right place to do therapy because your taking it, so stopping it might make you plummet and then you wouldnt be able to do therapy anyway.

just different viewpoints to consider xx

Thanks for all your input. I was in a really bad place when I was being asessed, which was basically all of 2012 gradually getting to my absolute worst over Christmas and in jan/feb. So I guess they based the 'being right for therapy' on that. I suppose I can see on our introductory meeting on the 28th whether people are rock bottom or stable. Yeah that's another scary thing is whether I'd be too bad if I stopped the meds, I ahree being suicidal 24/7 wouldn't help at all. I guess the venlafaxine is just levelling me out and tbh there are still probably plenty of issues I can reflect on. The therapy is reflective group therapy for borderlines, so discussions and reflecting on the way we are and how we react and behave, better responses etc I guess. Hm... I guess I do need to be kinda stable, as stable as meds can make us tbh. Thanks everyone :-) will keep on the meds and see how the introduction goes.xxx

Archived