Mental Health Forums

Hoarders And Dysfunctional Parents

AppleCrumble

Is anyone else watching these Hoarders programmes? I'm finding it really interesting... my dad comes from a family where they keep things... very interesting... Hm :-( Very sad... thankfully my dad isn't as bad as these people, but yeah :-( the dysfunction is there...

Did anyone else watch it?

Yes I've watched at least one of those and some of the other programmes. The worst one I saw was Mr Trebus on The Life of Grime - about 10 years ago maybe. Also that man in that village who filled his house up with junk and had to crawl from room to room through tunnels - it was scary and sad.

My problem with the TV and hoarders is that often they get enthusiastic people to come around and throw out the junk, but they don't address the underlying problems.

Ah this programme was a lot better as the 'presenter' or person visiting the people was a daughter of a hoarder and they gave the people appointments with psychologists etc.one lady didnt manage to chuck anynthing much out do they weren't over forceful. The bloke they really managed to help :-)

I'm glad they are helping the people and not just exploiting them!

The programme sounds really interesting tho, I will check it out .:-)

I saw the one Datas referring too- Richard (wasn't it?) who lived in a bungalow crammed with junk beside his parents empty house, also crammed with junk. A friendly neighbour came to help, and in the 2nd programme I began to suspect this neighbours motivation. He had his eye on the other house for himself...

That reminds me, today is cleaning day and I need to get stuck in bigtime.

I wonder where the balance lies between a healthy habit of keeping things for posterity or possible future use and 'hoarding'?

I think we are being subtly pushed towards 'disposability' and obsolete-ness. I got a 1970s Moulinex food processor still in it's box from my Mums house, it's perfect. Now to learn to use it :) xx am

Archived