Mental Health Forums

How Is Wanting To Gain Weight An Eating Disorder?

Shaynups

I have this crazy obsession with wanting to gain weight.daily when I'm going about my business I tend to look at the body shape of every soul my eyes come in contact with I find it pretty sad really,but then I compare myself to them thinking that im worst off because I don't shape a certain way. I try to gain weight I haven't tried any supplements yet but I've been going to the gym that only makes me skinnier because I'm not getting enough calories daily its really frustrating because I really want to gain weight and it isn't happening I feel I'm going to go to some extreme measures soon ...help!!!

Are you underweight? If yes your doctor/MH team could help. If you are underweight because of anorexia they will help you. Have you asked for help?

No im not underweight my bmi is 23 which is quite good knowing the fact that im 5ft6 weighing 143lbs ...its just the mental aspect of it... when I look in the mirror I see skinny and I don't like it...

Have you tried protein shakes or more protein in general? Do you feel it's an unhealthy obsession? Might be worth visiting your GP if you feel that it's the thoughts that are wrong, maybe CBT would help? Xx

Are you obsessed with gaining muscular bulk... or just weight in general?

*Muscle dysmorphia aka bigorexia or reverse anorexia ~ causes depression. Constantly comparing ones physique to others. Obsession with gaining mass. A form of emotional psychosis, paranoia and feelings of inadequacy.

Im obsessed with gaining weight I atr yesterday until I felt sick I just really want to gain weight I hate the way my body is.. its really depressing me.

I find this hard to understand as someone who is over weight and totally hate my body it makes me want to cry when i look in the mirror i wont eat in public incase people say look at her so fat eating in public, it has ruined my sex life i wont be naked at all i constantly compare myself to thin people seeing them somehow as better and more attractive people, its a hard one, i guess i can relate to how you feel in an opposite way.

I think you need help with this. Do you think youre willing to get help,see your GP or something?

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who has been over weight for 50 years i have a hard time under standing. Be very careful what you wish for.....

• 1 month later...

I can understand where she is coming from I like to be super skinny yet admire people of healthy weight I am healthy now but battle between the two its madness because I spend so much time trying to lose weight but can see its abnormal;

Archived