Mental Health Forums

Two More Cats!

AppleCrumble

We're getting two more cats on Tuesday! An 8 month old girl called Jelly, and an 11 month old boy called MJ. :-)

Quite excited, although a little scared about how to introduce them to our two cats that we have already who are both 21 months old (girl and a boy) Hopefully it'll go okay :-) Been reading a little about introducing cats. We are going to have to get MJ and Jelly spayed/neutered as they haven't had it done yet. So I guess they'll be feeling a little sore and quieter than usual for the first wee while anyway.

Anyone got any advice?

We are moving house sometime in the next 4 weeks or so. Hoping it won't be that long as we have someone moving into our old house asap... not sure if to let them meet each other before then or not. You are supposed to do it in stages a step at a time and make sure there is no growling in between each stage... so they are comfortable at each step....

I have introduced new cats to each other three times and we did it carefully but in one go, they did growl and even try to fight which we stopped but mostly we let it happen because our vet told us they need to figure out in the beginning whos boss and such and you shouldn't interfere in that too much. It usually takes Ive been told,at the most two weeks where the first two days they get growly and anxious and then slowly they adjust until theyre both comfy.

In our case it went ok twice and one time after three weeks two cats just still hated each other and constantly tried to fight so we had to give one of them away....

Not all cats get along no matter how you go about it.

I am certainly no expert but thought Id share my experience.

I hope it goes well! Will you post pics pretty pleeeeeeease :)

Archived