Mental Health Forums

Feeling Cut Off

lonelyheartemma

I hate how new technology keeps developing, I can't keep up with it and I'm losing touch with people.

I don't get how my blackberry works so I don't have a phone at all and I never text people. I used to text people on here but now I can't because it's got too complicated. I haven't used a mobile phone for about 18 months.

I don't understand Skype. I used to talk to my friend on msn every night, we'd been doing that for over a year and I loved it. But now it's been updated to Skype and I've never managed to have a conversation on it. So I'm not talking to my friend every day anymore, we're talking less often than once a week because the only option is emailing.

even some websites are getting more confusing. Most of my friends are on a site called tumblr but they keep doing updates and new ways of doing things and because my laptop is quite basic it can't cope with tumblr anymore. It goes really slow and it takes me 5 minutes to edit a piece of text that's less than a line long.

This site is still fine, it goes at the normal speed and everything works but I'm scared everything is going to get more and more complicated so eventually I won't be in touch with anyone because I don't know how. I can't ask my parents, they only know slightly more than me and they're not interested in tumblr and smart phones and all that. We're a very untechnological family.

Hi Emma

I know how you feel - I have never used a smart phone or Ipad

I found this link which explains how to use skype if it helps. You could email your friend and decide a time when you're going to be online and then they could phone you...

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/tips/how-to-use-skype.htm

hope this helps

xxx

Hi (((LonelyHeartEmma))).xxx I understand what you are saying here.xxx Technology just gets more and more complicated and it can end up doing exactly the opposite of what it was intended...i.e bring about a breakdown of communications rather than encouraging them.xxx

If you felt like getting another mobile phone where you could text easily and keep it simple, take a look at the Nokia 100....A really basic phone, very cheap and would do texting no problem.xxx http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/NOKIA-100/PPAY

I used to like MSN messenger...........then it went over to Skype.........the people I used to message on there don't message anymore in the same way as they used to on Messenger................I think like you (((LHE))), all the upgrading and extra features actually put a lot of people off................It is possible though, just to live message on Skype, just like you used to on MSN Messenger..xxx It all gets so confusing doesn't it.xxx Sending you a hug.xxxx

I totally agree with you emma, I can just about turn my laptop on Lol..I think I have only used skype twice I just don't like it it's not the same as MSN...Technology is changing everyday, I agree with Pickles about getting yourself a simple phone so you're able to text.

xx

Thank you for your replies :) That link does seem to describe it quite well Starry and getting a new phone is probably sensible, I used to have nokias and I could use them.

It's the messaging stuff on Skype I was struggling with, I can't even do that :(

It especially bothers me as I am only 21 so I'm expected to be able to do all that stuff. My friends just seem to pick it up straight away, they are always taking pictures on phones, I'd love to join in with that but idk how. They should do lessons at college or something.

some computer stuff is good though. My computer keeps automatically correcting my spelling, idk how or why but I like it. But a lot of stuff just upgrades itself without telling you and doesn't explain how to use the new version.

Hi Emma,

Perhaps you could teach yourself how to use things from searching for articles and tutorials online like the one that starry linked you? That way you can learn and test at your own pace. Also there are lots of people on here who would be willing to give you pointers if you wanted!

I understand the difficulty in new technology, it develops so quickly and just as we get used to what we have now someone else has invented something new! Do you think your fear of using technology has come about because of the influences of your family not knowing how to use stuff and also putting pressure on you to get things right all the time and' know' how to do stuff? Because part of new technology is just messing about and seeing what happens and if you've been taught not to make a mistake or that you'll get it wrong then you'll naturally have a fear and the belief that you can't do certain things.

Perhaps, if you wanted to or felt comfortable enough you could go on a short course which teaches you how to use computers and things? There are plenty of short introductory courses dotted around and it may give you the supportive environment you need to get more involved in technology if you think that'd work for you.

*hugs*

Kit xx

Because part of new technology is just messing about and seeing what happens

This is so true. I work in a school and last week my class had ICT. We went into the computer suite for an hour and the kids were instructed to open a program and see what they could make it do. None of them had seen it before and they didn't know the first thing about how to use it but by experimenting and playing with all the different buttons/menus they could all teach each other loads at the end of the lesson. These kids are 6 and 7!! I think there is a lot of fear amongst the older generations about getting it wrong and breaking the computer / phone etc but these days things are pretty fool proof and the best way to learn to use them is to just try! Much like you can't learn to drive without getting out on the road, you can't use technology without getting familiar with it either. Have a go!

Kit you know me very well! I am always under pressure to do things perfectly. My parents were convinced I was good at computers but luckily they now seem to have realised I'm not. They still insist I'm better than most people but my mum has stopped asking me questions about computers because I'm just like ???????. I really hope she has also stopped telling her friends and workmates I'm a computer genius because that caused lots of problems.

I would never be allowed to mess about on a computer. I might get a virus or something or delete everything.

Like Artemis says I am worried about causing problems. I've had lectures from my dad about downloading things and risking getting viruses, I don't think the computer ever has got a virus because of me but I'm really scared that it might happen and I don't know what we'd do if we did, Basically till I got my laptop everything that went wrong with the PC was my fault. Now I hardly use it.

I can't really do any courses. I'd miss too many classes and have to leave. Even if I can control my mh then my physical health is likely to play up. But I just kind of freeze in classrooms, I can't deal with it.

Artemis that is true about the older generations and I feel if I was an older generation I'd have some excuse but I don't think I'm an older generation yet. So everyone expects me to know. But my computer classes at school were rubbish, I didn't really understand anything and I missed lots of school for health reasons which didn't help. I have learned stuff on my own though. I mostly did A Level Welsh on my own and now I'm teaching myself medieval Welsh. But that's easier than computers. If I don't understand something I look in the dictionary and the grammar book. Maybe there's a computer dictionary.

Hehe, no emma I didn't mean you were old! I just meant people who are older than those at school at the moment! I agree, you're not part of the 'oldies' bracket yet! ;)

Archived