Mental Health Forums

Not Really A Mental Health Question But

Barebones

wonderd if anyone else has hair loss like me?

my hair seems to fall out alot when i wash or put hands through my hair..i know we get some loss of hair but filling toilet up after and before washing hair is that normal for long hair?

im not seeing any patches or that.. weird. ohwell if noone has this nvm im seeing doc tommorrow..

yeah, i kinda pull my hair out...but before I did that i was always amazed at how much hair I lose. maybe I don't vacuum enough but when i do it's like i find my entire head of hair on the floor! bald patches would be a big warning so it's good you don't have those, right? I could be making this up but I'm sure I read somewhere that we lose about 100 hairs from our head each day. Why can't they fall out from our legs or something? Would beat waxing!

thanks

no bold patches yet..but hair is thinner..ohwell have to see the outcome. doh me bold wouldnt look good

Hey,

thinning hair and hair loss can be signs of malnutrition and certain deffinciencies. i dont know how old you are but hair gets thinner as you get older.. i t could be stress or a medical condition but its probably a lot to do with diet and nutrients.

Viki

its not just starving yourself that cuases hair loss but from your diary you dont eat much...sorry if thats nosy but just trying to help. iron definciency is another cause. my freind has it and as soon as she started on iron suppliments her hair went really thick and nice

viki

well i have had this for long while now.. its just beginning to bug me.. maybe il get some supplements.. thanks victoria..

I've got long hair and it falls out all the time when washing or brushing. I thought it was normal. My bathroom is always covered in it and its a pig when im cleaning.

Hi ... I'm not thin enough to be anorexic, but I definately go through periods of time where I don't eat enough and I've lost alot of weight recently.

I'm very self conscious about my hair thinning and falling out. I'm not sure how to stop this from happening.

People tell me they don't notice, but I do and it's getting worse.

I also have thyroid problems and I think it started there.

Sorry you are going through that...I know it's upsetting.

Eva

eva u saying about thyroid probs i have the same.. i have under active.. not sure if its that but last time i was checked i was fine.. but i do relate to what your saying..

hope your same as me and we pick up a bit and face things.. which with the help im getting im able to deal with alot more..:) this has been good for me opening up and sorting through whats going on in my head..

take care and hope you be same as me and get foreward.

theres a herbal/supplement thingy thats really good for this,think its called perfectil,my daughters both had a little hair loss cos they dye the hell out of their hair,this really helped both their hair and nails etc.

ppppp

yeah could be but last blood check my thyroid was up to normal with my medication. thats one thing i forgot to ask doc about was my hair.doh

Double check on your thyroid levels. My thyroid was 9.7 which indicates that I am hypo-thyroid. 9.7 is over twice the normal limits. Anything between 0.6 - 1.2 is normal. Even if you have a normal thyroid blood level......have another in a couple of months. Things like thyroid can change quickly. One of the fist signs of hypo-thyroid is hair loss in the manner of which you describe. (and dry skin) Don't mess with it.......if your not on meds then get some help and if your on Synthroid or otherwise then maybe you should have a med review.

Good luck.

Wiz

thanks wisdom.. i am on meds and have been stable for 6 years..i have had hair probs for little while now and its not too long since my last blood check..

im sure it will be fine.. if its not i have my gp in 3 weeks.. :)

• 4 weeks later...

barebones,

Have you checked your thyroid yet? or have you figured out why your having the hair loss? I also wanted to ask what medication are you on for your thyroid and has the medication ever affected your mood whether it be up or down.

Thanks

Wiz

i got my thyroid checked when i had to get all those tests done.. my thyroid is perfect and im on thyoxine. the other medication i was on was amisulpride but the thing is my hair has been falling out well before started that sort of medication.im now on a new med ariprprazol/abilify. my hair is still falling out large amounts.. my mother notice got a shock other day when i went swimming and she found a heap on the car seat where i was sitting..she was little bit worried.. that aint the worst amount either..i have a whole ball of hair from on session of brushing which was going to save all my hair up and show doc or hey maybe donate it lol

thanks for asking again wisdom .. its still happening..:(

Archived