Mental Health Forums

:'(

chaz_b

Well, not been the best week for me. Stupidly OD'd on my sertraline (I don't remember a lot about it, it's kinda hazy, but I do know I was NOT attempting suicide- it was more a desperate feeling of wanting to be happy again) Sister got me into A&E and I was put on an ECG, scaring myself to death in the process (note to everybody, however bad it gets, DON'T be tempted down this route. Apparently Serotonin Syndrome was luckily avoided but they had to keep me in over night)

Long story short, saw hospital psych who told me the obvious- CBT or ideally DBT but before that either: come off the sertraline all together OR triple the dosage.

I have taken the latter option (since coming off Prozac had catastrophic side effects) It's now only the second day of this 150mg dose and I am getting some funny side effects.

One of my many coping strategies is escaping into movies and books. I am usually very good at shutting the outside world off but I am now UNABLE to concentrate long enough for either. I was thinking of going out for a walk but I feel shattered. Thing is, when I go to bed I don't drift off either. I recently downloaded a sleep app to see if I could encourage some new, more positive sleeping patterns.

Any thoughts? Any similar experiences? Does it calm down?

Things do calm down eventually.

I take 100mg of sertraline. They're thinking of upping me to 150mg. I had some interesting effects at first but they went away in a week or two.

I'm glad it wasn't a suicide attempt, those are stark terrifying when you realize you're getting what you wanted but don't really want it anymore. I've accidently taken too many meds to make myself feel better but never have had to go to the hospital. I've only had one true OD but no one paid enough attention to take me anywhere. They just shoved me on the couch and waited til I passed out thinking I was just having a psychotic episode. I'm so glad you're sister paid attention and looked after you!

I escape into movies and books too, writing and drawing also. Several of my meds made it incredibly hard to focus on any of that, including the sertraline. But don't let that chase you off it!! Sertraline is a fairly good medication and you should give it a chance. Eventually the side effects will wear off and you'll be feeling decent and able to focus again.

Hope this helped a little?

PM me if you ever need someone to talk to!

Archived