Mental Health Forums

Origami. Stars, Rabbits And Cubes Oh My!

Riverspell

My therapist recently turned me on to origami. Originally it was just making lots and lots of cubes in a variety of sizes. But now I've branched out and am attempting rabbits and lucky stars and even koi fish! Gah, some of these things are so fricken complicated that they do nothing but frustrate me. But what I love about it is that I can get lost in the pattern and instructions and just.....CREATE!

It does me good to accomplish something. And if I can accomplish something that is at first difficult I feel like I've succeeded at something. It's a feeling to really rejoice in!

Something else I've done, only with the cubes so far, is to draw images or write words of things that make me happy and make life worth living on each side of the cube. Good reminder to stare at it.

With the stars I whisper a wish or hope over and over again while I fold it then drop it into a jar with all my other star wishes! I may not remember what star went with what wish or hope, but the wish or hope still got out there.

As to the rabbits.... So far I'm just making one each day. One rabbit to show the way, one rabbit to prove to me that I can make it through each day. All I have to do is count the rabbits and that number is how many days I went through life without harming myself, someone else or doing something stupidly foolish. The pattern for the rabbits is REALLY complicated so it made sense to me to do one as an accomplishment of each day. I'm considering folding a butterfly for the days that I've messed up and done something, well, not so good. I don't want to just say anything you do to yourself or someone is wrong even though it is. Because saying you're stupid and wrong just degrades yourself. But anyways. Considering folding a butterfly for the days that I just don't quite make it through.

I talked to my therapist about this last Tuesday and I started it Friday. It's too bad I don't have a camera. =C

But I wanted to post this here and offer to share the patterns I've found so that others can try it. It's fun and even if you're brand new to folding you can pick it up in a matter of minutes.

It'd be awesome if others shared pictures of their origami!

Hi Riverspell,

This is an awesome idea! I've wanted to try origami for a while and keep meaning to 'get around to it' but never do, it'd be cool if you posted some patterns, sounds very theraputic and focussing Do you need a certain type of paper?

Glad you've found something creative that works for you!

Kit

Hi Riverspell,

It's great you have found something creative to focus on, and Origami really is fun, once you get into it it's not as hard as it seems.

I've made swans for years - some large some small (the smaller are more of a challenge) I'm sure you know the thing about swans gliding on the surface while paddling like hell beneath the water. :)

Kitsune, off the top of my head you just need the paper to be square, and I'm sure there must be how to vids on you-tube.

Love

Crystal

X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Woj9oP3AI

That's a link to the Lucky Stars. They're pretty awesome and simple to make. Take a standard piece of printer paper and on the long side cut it into half inch strips. Then fold according to the videos instructions.

http://www.freebirdgames.com/images/original_diagram-Rabbit-Maekawa-p1.jpg

http://www.freebirdgames.com/images/original_diagram-Rabbit-Maekawa-p2.jpg

That's the rabbit. It's really rather complex. I'm still figuring it out and have been improvising so my rabbits don't look quite right. xDD

I haven't yet found a link to the boxes my therapist makes but there are a lot of patterns for a variety of boxes all over the internet.

CrystalFairys right, there is a TON of how to vids on Youtube.

Kitsune. You just need a square piece of paper. You can buy fancy origami paper if you want but I've just been using post it notes, scraps of drawing paper, and a bit thicker notebook paper. You don't want the paper to be too thin or floppy, it'll fall apart or not even cooperate.

I've just now discovered I can make vids and take images with a webcam and I have one. So I may be able to post vids or pictures! If that helps anyone anyways.

Archived