Mental Health Forums

Can I Work With Children After Being Sectioned?

x-Bliss-x

I'm so irritated right now you wouldn't believe! I can NOT get a straight answer to this question!

I have been sectioned once a few years ago and I just want to know if I'm ever going to be allowed to work with children?

Does anyone know a straight answer to this? I've been told that some mental health professionals say no, but other places say it depends on circumstance and that it's up to the employer. AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Please help!

Few questions come to mind:

What section was it?

What kind of work with children are you looking to get into?

Do you have a criminal record?

Have you ever been declared 'vulnerable' by the police?

I've had a similar sort of worry, about when I took od's and such a while back, then trained to become a teacher.

I'm sorry I have no straight answer for you but I can't see why one would forbid it if you are now stable enough. Think the criminal record counts much more.

It was section 2 which is for 28 days and the circumstance was basically that I tried to commit suicide and was caught in the middle of it.

I'm not actually sure what kind of work to be honest. Something like daycare or nursery.

I don't have a criminal record no and have never been in trouble by the police. Also, when I was 'stopped' it wasn't by police either it was by mental health professionals I was under at the time.

and actually, with the criminal record thing. From what I've found, you're more likely to be considered (obviously depending on what kind of crime it was). With the mental health sectioning buisness, it seems less forgiving from some sources.

i have been on a 72 hour section and i worked with children, no one asked and it never came up.

I did voluntary work in a school for a while and did a course and a job came up a s a lunchtime supervisor. I applied and told them at the interview roughly about my mh problems. i didn't get the job but bame first reserve if anyone rang in sick. then a year later someone left and the head teacher offered me the job - i was thrilled.

I know its only as a lunchtime supervisor but they didn't seem to mind about my past. They just looked at my voluntary work and were happy with me.

I stupidly left the job but thats another story.

I don't think being under a section will be a problem from my experience

Have you thought about looking for an email address for Ofsted and writing to them and seeing if they could help you in anyway with this???...

if you are discriminated against in getting or keeping a job on the grounds of mental health, including being sectioned it would be illegal.

they would like all employers request a medical questionnaire might ask for an occupational health assessment, this would help you and them decide if you are fit for work.

Go for it is my view x

• 4 weeks later...

It's well-known in a school close by that i have long-standing mh issues, as several family members work there in various positions and also family friends work there too.

Despite this i was approached and actually informed of a job opportunity and asked if i would consider it as they feel i would be very good in that role (1-2-1 support in foundation stage classrooms).

It varies as to your employers opinions on it and the setting's policy with regards to mh, but to not gain employment BECAUSE of past mh issues is, as christine says, discriminatory. X

If you don't get asked, you don't need to tell... i've never been asked if i've been sectioned in an interview or on an application, just criminal record stuff.

xx xx xx

It was section 2 which is for 28 days and the circumstance was basically that I tried to commit suicide and was caught in the middle of it.

I'm not actually sure what kind of work to be honest. Something like daycare or nursery.

I don't have a criminal record no and have never been in trouble by the police. Also, when I was 'stopped' it wasn't by police either it was by mental health professionals I was under at the time.

and actually, with the criminal record thing. From what I've found, you're more likely to be considered (obviously depending on what kind of crime it was). With the mental health sectioning buisness, it seems less forgiving from some sources.

I think they tend to just ask if you have had any health including MH problems which would prevent you from being able to carry out your role and if you say yes was it in the last either 1 or 2 years. They may ask occupational health to give you a call and from what I gather if you think you are ok they tend to believe you. I have not been sectioned but have taken O.D.s and ended up in hospital... I had to fill out a form for where I am now on placement in the NHS which asked these questions. The Occupational health team rang me and I basicly just said it was over a year ago and It wont affect my job. If you can reassure them you are no longer in that place it should be fine. Hope that is of some help x

Also.. I work as a supply teacher after being off work ill from my fulltime teaching job. When I applied to do supply they just asked me to get a DR letter assuring I was fit to return to teach, So if you needed to (if they asked or challenged you) you could ask your G.P. to write a letter recommending you are fit to work in the role.

x

Archived