Mental Health Forums

New London Support Group?

Endoftheroad

I've attended a group the last 2 months in London arranged through the meetup website, but as only two of us turned up last week and the organiser has quit I think that's run its course!

However, I do think such a group has merit as a way for those with BPD and related conditions to meet informally; I've met very few people with the dx in the real world, and not even in hospital. This was brought home to me on Sunday, as the woman I met was dxed years ago yet I was the first person she'd ever met who also has it!

So I'd like to suggest we could run something through this site, if there's an appetite for it, maybe meeting in one of the Royal Parks where we could have relative privacy. No agendas or anything formal, and not group therapy either, more an informal way to come together and discuss whatever's on our minds, offer mutual support and hopefully create friendships. No matter how many people we might have in our lives, with the best will in the world only fellow borderlines can really understand what we go through day to day.

If anyone is interested in the idea please let me know where you'd be coming from (to get an idea of best venue) and preferable days/times, either here or by PM if you prefer and we can try to arrange something soon :) Hugs to all

Geoff

I'd be coming from up north... that's feasable right? : p

Think it's a great idea, may have to lay out some parameters, boundaries and agreements as well just so you're all supported and safe. Hope that you manage to set one up as it'd be great to have that support network.

I thought Limbo was dahn sarf, cos that's where I am right now! Had a couple of ppl express interest already :) What sort of perimeters do you have in mind Kitsune?

hehe! That's good that people are interested already! Perimeter wise it'd be similar terms and conditions of the group that they use for groups through meetup. Kind of like regulations as to what's acceptable behaviour etc. It's just to try and keep the group members safe in a way, like the rules you get with this forum. Not sure about the ins and outs though! Am a bit brain foggy at the moment.

Yes that sounds ideal. The only thing I'll insist upon is that people have to be registered users here (was amazed with the other group that not one of them came here!)

That's why we would meet in public - aside from meeting in Trafalgar Square one of the London parks couldn't be more public! And yes, many of us have issues with paranoia, but we're only a threat to ourselves, not to others. One of my delusions is that The Truman Show is real and is based on me! I've learned to live with it :D

What a great film! That must be hard to live with :(

I think all of us are big softies really. I'm basically a ginger panda.

i'm a meetup group member too! shame its folding but im very grateful for its organiser to have got it going

im in east london and quite flexible about timings

as for boundaries, i'd suggest that...

- each person take responsibility for their own needs so that folks can meet on an equal basis (as the urge to rescue can be very powerful), that

- if abusive behaviour happens that its addressed so that everyone feels safe and ideally, if anyone feels unsafe, to share it with someone so that the group can collectively support eachother and hold boundaries (as bpd folks can interpret things as shaming, rejecting etc and these things can be recognised rather than punished)

- boundaries are agreed by attendance, ie that if you turn up, you're committing to being respectful to others and supporting the boundaries

a few days back i asked Lily one of the mods here if it was ok to start this group on this board and she said yes, its ok so its all good :) she also said that its good if meetings are in a public place, that its important to check if anyone attending has anything other than a personal support interest. Lily is a really kind and warm person if you wana ask her anything :)

I'd like to meet others who may have similar issues, learn from their experiences, share mine and make some friends, is that safe?

One of my delusions is that The Truman Show is real and is based on me! I've learned to live with it :D

Wow, me too!! I have thought that so many times!

Roads only get busy as I approach looking to cross them.....and so many more things! Amazing to find someone else as 'crazy' as me! :P

I once got mobbed by a load of kids at Copenhagen airport! Maybe I looked like someone idk, but they clearly thought they knew me. Nearly missed my plane! Loads of other things, just loads. Apologies to anyone watching this week though, been relatively uneventful for me :P

That's the beauty of such a group, as we'd all be in the same boat, there is bound to be a lot of mutual feelings, understanding and experiences. Therefore any social awkwardness would soon evaporate :)

Archived