Mental Health Forums

Alzheimer

Elke

Ah yes. My mom has Alzheimer and I´ve watched movies and read a lot about it. When you have Alzheimer every bit of your life´s memory is "erased". Lovely. Its like a tree full in bloom with leaves - and suddenly autumn comes, and all the leaves dry up and the wind blows them away until the tree is "barren".

Hm...I should write this as a letter in the forum "Unspoken words."

So today my mom told my "Your (56 year old) sister is "at school" right now". At school? Are you sure?

I dont know whether to laugh or cry about it.

Does anyone remember Guenther Sachs? The famous High Society Playboy who was married to Brigitte Bardot? He shot himself when he found out he had Alzheimer. Queen Sylvia of Swedens´mom had Alzheimer. But her mom realized her condition. She said "I am losing my life..."

Dear mom:

We had a horrible relationship all our lives. When dad died, you were lonely and decided to FINALLY turn your relationship with me into a friendship. And now I am LOSING YOU. And I am mourning. I finally had a mother. And now you are vanishing.....

My tough luck to lose everyone that is dear to me.

I still love you mom,

Elke

So sorry your mum has this

i had a family member with this and it was really hard to cope with seeing them loose theyre memories and not recognise any of u.

Sorry im not good with words to help u right now but i send you warm (((hugs))))

take care xxx

I think I am having to say "good-bye" to mom. For two years everytime I call to ask how she is doing, she answers: "I dont want to go out today". It hurts to listen to this for two years when all I want to do is ask how share dou doing?

I just called the Alzheimer Association and they said not to take it personally. My mom was always a "NO" sayer. But when you call just to ask about her and the first reply is "NO, I dont want to go out today". it drives me up the wall and nuts. So I spoke with the a volunteer of the Alzeimer Assoc and decided that it is time for me to say good-bye to mom. Also for my own mental health.

My son cant cope with it all anymore and is focusing only on his family and job.

I myself am very ill. I have Asthma and my Pneumonologist was furious with me. He said I am playing russianan roulette with my own life. He told me I have about another 20-30 yrs to live - and NO!!!!!!!!!! - contrary to what my moms family doctor says - it is NOT about my mother, it is about ME!!!!!!!!!

So good-bye mom. You were a very intelligent woman and your brain is dying.

As a friend who is a nurse once said: One day they wont remember anything. Not even who you are.

Its the ways of life. Our destiny is to die one of these days. EVERY ONE OF US. We all have to go. A good story about this is. "Appointment in Samara".

So good-bye mom. I will try to use the few years I still have left to find a way of making the best of life.

Elke

Archived