Mental Health Forums

Another More Fragile Side Of Me

brisbane

I feel like i’ve been on a speeding train of change recently and while it has been amazing to be bursting with so much joy and confidence, its painful too. I feel fragile and vulnerable and a bit overwhelmed. I’m frightened. And part of me wants to share my art, to express that part of me. Here are three pieces i’ve done recently, about a bird, the moon and an open hand... xx

(they are in chronological order of how i made them)

I love the first two pieces but I really hope you expand on them because I think they have even more potential and that in some ways you are still holding back...it's like they want to be slightly more fluid or intimate but you are still worrying in your mind about controlling them.....I think it would be really cool to try one in a similar sphere but really let go when you make it...now that you have the technical stuff and ideas and all that sorted I think you can really start to free your mind and let some more of that expressive quality come through ...I think the size of the canvas might be restricting you and I would be interested to see you do a larger piece because I think the size is limiting you in some ways...I could see it going either way acutally..I could see these pieces becoming small intimate scalled pieces that invite the viewer in to the sphere (in that context neat controlled pieces might also be nice too)....or I could see them being large and openly expressive confronting the viewer (especially the bird one)

great work! I hope you don't mind the constructive critique I just know for me it helps me grow as an artist to get that kind of feedback and thought you might like some too :)

thanks to all xx

artmatters i really appreciate your comments. i know that i can hold onto and hear what is right for me, and leave what doesn't resonate. i really love the critique process... supporting, encouraging, challenging, expressing, describing, postulating,... it gives me so many ideas on how to move forward. i also really enjoy commenting on other people's work - we did a critique last tues at my college, we had a form to give us some ideas on what we could comment on (e.g. colour, space, line, contrast, visual effects, texture..,.) and i was the most vocal person there... just couldn't help but speak, it felt so good, and i got so many "felt" understandings of what makes effects and feelings and... so wonderful to express myself after so many years of not having a voice! i also used to be very citical of my own work... and couldn't see much beauty in other's... so glad that has done a turn around. last tues i noticed strengths, was encouraging and even smiled while i spoke (mostly!). so yep, feedback welcomed anytime. i think the thing i got most from the critique of my work (piece # 3 here, it is actually just a study of different media, my first painting for the term, on ply board) was that the women wanted to know the story behind it, she felt it was narrative. i'm realising that the storyteller in me has been lost for a long long time and she is just starting to awaken, so perhaps i can tell my stories not only through words (which i love), but also visually, through art. images feel more personal though, i hear what you're saying artmatters about holding back...

Archived