Mental Health Forums

Eating Too Much

angel tears

Hi

I am putting on even more weight because I am over compensating with food :( it makes me sad that I do this but at the same time it brings me comfort... Can anyone relate to this?. Then I can swing the other way and starve myself on shake diets :(

I know it's a problem to me yet I can't control it. I am working on so much right now in my life but I am unhappy with being this big. Everytime I try to lose weight I fail!!. I have also got poly cystic ovaries which makes it very hard to lose weight... The dr mentioned surgery but I don't think I am strong enough mentally right now

It's a circle that goes round and round... I have stopped taking drugs, stopped smoking, stopped using sex as a soother and I am watching my money better but I just can't stop the eating at night!!. It's always late on when I eat more.... Nights are hard and I have just done my NA meeting at night.

Xxx

Angel, I so hear where you're coming from. I too use food as a comfort, a soother. It is always late on when I eat too much too. Chocolate, crisps, toast, all while watching tv in bed at night. I have put on six stone since I married back in 2006. My downfall is carbs, the great comforter. I have a gluten / wheat intolerance , and an hernia , so I am on omeprazole , I ran out on Friday, and have had terrible acid reflux since. Hopefully my meds should be ready today. Do let me know how you are doing. xxx

I do that, it's far easier to over eat when you're coupling it with inattention activities like watching tv or being on the net. There's a plethora of emotional reasons people over- eat, loneliness, boredom, stress also if your diet is one which causes large dips and rises in sugar and things it can mean you eat more when you're on a dip.

I guess the ideal thing is to find out what the root of it is and see what you can do about it, or find something healthier to replace the overeating. xx

• 2 weeks later...

I totally relate 100%. I go from eating to loads of food to nothing for days. I'm milk gluten wheat yeast intolerant yet I still eat these things and it plays havoc with my digestive system. When I was growing up food was a weapon of wheather was good or not. What's concerning me at the minute is I've taken to drinking again and that is making me I'll too. I can drink for a couple of months then go months on end not drinking. I know I have an addictive personality, if something changes the way I feel I'm addicted to it.

Yes Vicky i totally relate to when you said ''if it changes the way i feel'', that's what it's all about aint it???. We just don't wanna be in the here and now with our current feelings, especially the difficult ones but you know what.....just for today i am going to try and just accept myself and my feelings and not act out :)

(((((everyone))))) xxxx

I have comfort eaten all my life. When I eat I feel like I am being nice to myself. I have been 'morbidly obese' all my life, I had surgery when I was 21 and it worked and I reached 13 stone but then with the depression and stress of life it all went back on. Through the years my weight has gone up and down depending on my mental state. I am now on a strict diet as I reached over 25 stone, I have an under-active thyroid, ulcers and bad back and am forced to admit to myself enough is enough and I have to lose the weight. I understand what you are feeling and if you are in a fragile state try not to worry about your weight just maybe swap some of your comfort food for something less calorific.

Hiya thanks for your input butterfly it all helps :), I wish I could stop fixating on my weight, it's driving me nuts today!! I just hate it xxx

I often ponder......why is it that everything enjoyable is bad for us.....not saying good things aren't enjoyable.

drugs

smoking

junk food

alcohol

gambling

Yes so very true Hun, all things that we are told r bad for us. I guess bad for us because we use to excess and we could die from some of them or end up with nothing. I guess without addiction we could cope with any of them to a point and then stop!. This addictive personality sucks big time. It's such hard work fighting the Beast that could kill us :( xxx

It's a circle that goes round and round... I have stopped taking drugs, stopped smoking, stopped using sex as a soother and I am watching my money better but I just can't stop the eating at night!!. It's always late on when I eat more.... Nights are hard and I have just done my NA meeting at night.

Xxx

A circle? You have accomplished SO much since I first met you on here. But you are you, and if this bothers you (and here we have the same problem I am working on also) I noticed I getting hunger attacks in the evening also. I KNOW where my weight gain comes from ... alohol. But I have joined some diet sites, that have recipes for low carbo - plus I recently stumbled across (and damn I can´t remember where...?) that cinammon is a great fat-burner. But it must be cinammon sticks, not the powder. So, I bought some today. The saleslady argued with me saying "But it´s just wood". But it can be grated and I will try.

Angel, I wish you would make a list. Diivide it with a line down the middle, and on the one side list all that you have accomplished - and on the other half - your momentary goal. And take a GOOD LOOK at your accomplishments and give yourself CREDIT for all that you have accomplished in such a small amount of time! But we are never satisfied enough, are we? I want to validate what you have accomplished - and dont want to invalidate what you still have planned. Luv ya! :bigarmhug[1]:

Aww thanks Elke love, you are a star :) thanks for pointing out to me the positives and you are right in that I am too harsh on myself!!! I will give myself a hug too as it helps my healing process :) I didn't know that you had the same issues with food Elke but well done on finding better ways to eat!! That's fab :) I will try to be kinder to myself. Lots of people in NA have problems with food I have noticed but like they say it never fills them! Xxxx

Archived