Mental Health Forums

Alphabet Soup

Riverspell

This is something I do to stretch my writing muscles and I thought it might be fun to turn it into a game for all you writers out there! I thought it fit the creative corner better than humor but go ahead and switch it if it needs to be!

Ok, this is how it works.

Each member gets a letter of the alphabet (we'll go in order. So a-b-c-d and so on) and a word (noun, verb whatever, doesn't matter. if it's in the dictionary its fair game) chosen by the person before them. They then take that word and do a quick writing (poem, short excerpt etc) that uses that word.

So say person 1. They've got the letter A and they've picked for themselves (as no one is ahead of them) the word Apple. They then proceed to write about a mysterious magician with a weakness of apples. They drain his power. When they're done with their short writing (and it doesn't need to be a complete plot) they choose a word for the next letter of the alphabet. In this case it's B and they pick Bats. Now the next person writes something involving bats. When they're done they pick a word for C and so on and so forth!

Get crazy with this people. This is meant to stretch those writing muscles, and if possible, make others laugh! Though it's perfectly alright to write something sad or depressing. As I said, there's no restrictions.

So here's mine. Letter A. Word Acrobatics.

He'd never dreamed of carrying on in his father's footsteps. The twisting, twirling, back cracking acts were not something he avidly looked forward to. Nor was the low pay something to write home about. But, well, somehow he'd gotten sucked in.
Now he stood here in a brilliantly colored, skin tight, outfit, ready to dash out into the arena looking like a tufted, and winged, stick bug. His mother had always told him that he resembled a very athletic flagpole. Whatever that was supposed to mean. At least he wasn't like Turkey Harry. Poor man weighed more than the elephant they used in the first act.
Beside him, shuffling nervously and muttering under his breath, was his neurotic second Player, George. George now, while he was an incredible acrobat, had some serious mental issues. Boss said it came from being locked in the tiger pen before feeding time. Whatever the reason, it made it terrifically hard to get a new act together. The man just couldn't seem to wrap his head around anything new. And personally, he just didn't want to be too involved with the man. Personally he was a little afraid George might go bonkers one day and do something stupid.
The roar of the crowd drew him back from his musings and he applauded right along with them as Terrance trotted back toward them and the back of the stage. Terrance and the Tiger was a popular act, though it's main character was growing tired of it. So far Terrance had lost an ear and half a hand to the striped beasts. Making him more one of the Freaks than a respected cat tamer. Either way, he liked him and the act.
"Hey der Shirly," Terrance said as he clapped his hand with his, "Good night tonight! Knock em dead, do that flip they like."
"Which one?" He practically grumbled, hating his name.
"Y'know, the one with the fire. I gotta go now, " Terrance said with a sidelong look at George.
Waving goodbye, Shirly waited for the ringmaster to call out him and George. It didn't take long to wire up the crowd and soon Shirly and his second were walking heels over heads into the center of the arena...
And since the next letter is B, I pick............ Bitter
Now have at people!

Archived