Mental Health Forums

A Big Origami Project

Riverspell

This is one of the biggest origami projects I've done and it's not "big" in terms of literal size but in complexity.

This ball has 30+ individual folded parts that are all slid together and interlinked to form a ball. I made the pieces from 3x3 inch post it notes which made it difficult. It's supposed to be made out of a minimum of 6x6 inch squares but all I've got is little dinky post it notes. So I proved the damn instructions wrong and shrunk it!! It did make it harder, so did the sticky side of the note, but ah well. I still got it done.

My amazing youngest sister had to help me put it together cause I did it backwards at first. She looked at the instructions and immediately saw how to do it. She did her own too!

This took me well over 8 hours. Probably 10 or so.

Right now I'm working on a Kusudama flower ball. It's not a true origami like the pic I posted as it uses glue but it was just so damn pretty I couldn't resist. xD

They're so lovely! I've seen those before and I envy the patience it takes to make something like that. all my art is in the "5-minutes-or-less scribble" category. I actually have a set of origami earrings my friend made me. One is a diamond shape in two colours, and the other is very like your ball but it is just a little bit smaller than an ordinary die you would play a game with. NO IDEA how she managed that, now I know how hard it is. I have an increased appreciation for them!

I did actually do some of my own art last night, I was needing some distraction. Maybe I'll photograph it, but it isn't as pretty or colourful.

I actually made an origami box (from several small parts) that was literally the size of my thumbnail. Mind you my thumb nail is decently sized. But it was such a pain in the ass to get it together!!! I made it in the hospital and the staff loved it and my other variety of boxes so they kept most of them. xP

Thank you Elke!

Thanks all of you! Your words encourage me. =)

Seriouskid, I started out fiddling with origami off and on since middle school. My younger brother was the big origami guy in our house but he stopped doing it a long time ago. I stopped it too for a while before my therapist started me on box making for therapy. I started branching out and he encouraged it. I can do mindfulness exercises, basic ones anyways, when I get into the rhythm of these more complex ones because the pieces to make them are simple in nature. The patience and concentration comes in when you are trying to hook them all together. xD That's when I have to actually think. It keeps me busy anyways. But yeah, I started out with simple cranes and pop up boxes and such.

I have no idea how to get pictures to show up in a post, but if I figure it out maybe I'll show off some of it. My entire room is almost wallpapered in it so I have plenty to choose from. Not much of it is BPD-related though.

There's a file uploader at the bottom just above submit. Make sure you make the photo only 100k or it won't upload it. Then it'll ask if you want to add the pic to the post and you click yes or whatever it says. Bingo!

lawl. I really do like you artwork and I'm not just saying that. I fight to draw a human face that doesn't look the least bit scary. xD

Ah well, I draw some scary ones too. No fun in making them all pretty. Here's one from my wall. I did her years ago, with some added extras from a biology textbook.

Halloween-y.

I like it! I've tried drawing spooky or scary art and it all comes out looking too cute. I think I'm doomed to be a children's artist. Except for the drawings of dead things maybe?

Archived