Mental Health Forums

Therapy Ending

craziememe

I've been in physco-analytic therapy for around five years. It's recently been changed to fortnightly for three months then tailing of once a month for three months to the 'end of my therapy' with my therapist. I am not coping well atall. I don't no what I am going to do without her. Well I do sort of... And it consists of me recently buying 200 paracetamol from the Internet. I feel lost, let down, abandoned, rejected. She knows my whole soul she knows things only me and 'the bad people' know. What will I do without her. There's talk of joining a therapeutic community and/or self harm support groups, survivors groups etc. I don't want any of this I just want everything to stay the same. Change really frightens me as does all these feelings I am having.

X

Hi

This sounds so scary and painful.. I can relate to being attached to my therapist. Not imagining how life could be without her. Afterall, like you say, you confide so much to them.. it can take so long to trust someone, then get used to it, then it ends.

Are you able to talk about your feelings with regards the ending to your therapist? I do realise it wouldn't change the ending (I'm assuming the ending isn't your choice, rather something happening beyond your control) but it might help process the feelings somehow? Being a psychoanalytic therapist she hopefully would be able to work with attachment and understand the anxiety change and endings can bring.

I hope you're able to stay safe. I do hear how scary it is and how you don't want things to change.. I just hope things aren't too difficult in the longer term. You will no doubt experience a lot of grief as well as the abandonment issues, rejection etc. so I guess taking care of yourself is so important.

xx

I'm sorry that you are struggling so much. It sounds very difficult.

I can relate a lot to you. I've been completely stuck in a therapy because i couldn't end it. I'm now with another T and i am so afraid that it happens the same again. Every time i tried to end i felt that i was going to die. I don't know how to invest in my new therapy because of this fear, though i already feel so dependent...

I think that it is very important to build a support system around you so that you don't depend only on one person. I think that you did the right thing to come to this forum for support. Many in here struggle with the same difficulties.

Do you think that you managed to take in some of what your T gave to you?

I really hear you. I hope that you keep yourself safe and look for support as you did by coming here.

Warm hugs.

xxx

Hi. I was in psycodynamic therapy for two and a half years for ptsd, and it was very hard going, but when I was told that my therapy was coming to an end, I was devastated. I felt like all my pain, my weakness, my experiences andmy fear had been taken out of a box, and just left out. There was no closure, just an untimely end. I feel I waslet down badly. So I can relate toyour situation.Change is terifying. This forum, and the lovely people in here will help, as Karain says by helping you build a wider support base.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a session with my therapist today she is extending my therapy for an extra three months so instead of finishing in march I'll finish in June. I wouldn't say it was a particularly tough session but I feel so drained today. I'm finding it hard interacting with anyone even my son. My social worker tells me I should pull the duvet over my head when I feel like this and I honestly would if I knew doing that would let me escape the badness in my head. But it doesn't. This pain is with me day and night. And it doesn't seem to be getting any easier.

x

Archived