Mental Health Forums

Act Thread

Lily-Bee

Hi all,

I started ACT therapy a year ago and have never improved so much, in fact I will be discharged soon :D

ACT can be implied to any situation or issue really and consist of a bunch of things like mindfulness.

I started this thread wondering if any of you if interested in learning the basics. Would could go through them discuss them in this thread.

It would not be therapy, I am not a therapist all it is me sharing info and exercises that might benefit you too.

Please reply if youre interested so I know if there is any point in me taking the time to find articles, explain things etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PENd6ndMzAg

Hi Lily - I have also found ACT very useful in my recovery. I was wondering what books you are using. I have several ACT books I have bought from Amazon. I find that ACT in conjunction with CBT works best for me. I have been lucky in that I have been able to benefit using my own self help instead of formal professional therapy. Take care - Detroitguy.

Ive used the following ACT books;

The happiness trap

The confidence gap

The reality slap

All from Russ Harriss

Get out of your mind and into your life by Steven Hayes

And then these that are not exactly ACT but involve one or more of the ACT princibles;

Loving what is-Katie Byron

The mindfull path to selfcompassion- Richard Germer

Buddha's brain-Rick Hanson

The road less travelled-Scott Peck

The power of now- Eckhart Tolle

I'd be interested in hearing more about it Lily - thank you for your kind offer. I don't know anything at all about ACT therapy - never heard of it or even know what the initials stand for!

Since most of the people on here are new, I thought I would say a bit about myself before mentioning the books I use for self-help. I am older than most on here (close to 60) and mainly suffer from depression, anxiety, and irritability at times (the irritability probably is due mostly to frustration with the depression and anxiety). I also have problems sometimes with depersonalization/ derealization which seemed to have been first triggered when I tried marijuana in my late teens. The source of my emotional problems stems from (like a lot of us here) genetics, a stressful childhood, and current problems (mostly financial – my wife was laid off early January and no matter how hard she tries no one has offered her a job as of yet. Also my income from my job is really not enough to support us both so we are spending down our savings). I have found that self-taught CBT and ACT as well as loving emotional support from my wife has helped keep my problems from getting worse. I have found the books I have on CBT, ACT, and DBT especially helpful for my problems. I have found that working on the techniques in the books requires practice, practice, and more practice! That is why I think self-help is so important. Even if someone learns the skills from a therapist, eventually therapy ends so hopefully one has learned at that time to help themselves (i.e. learning to fish instead of being given a fish). Below are the books I use the most:

(ACT)

ACT Made Simple – Russ Harris (This a great ACT book)

The Mindfulness & Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety

The Mindfulness & Acceptance Workbook for Depression

ACT on Life Not Anger

Overcoming Depersonalization Disorder

(CBT)

Overcoming Depression – Paul Gilbert (I think this is really a great book for depression)

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Dummies

(DBT)

Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder

The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook

(MEDICATION IN RELATION TO ITS POSSIBLE OVERUSE)

The Myth of the Chemical Cure

Anatomy of an Epidemic

In summary, these books have helped give me the skills to deal with my illness. As I said earlier, it is SO important to keep practicing them. I go to the gym most days before work and realize that training the mind is much like training the muscles – you really have to keep it up! Feel feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss any of the above in further detail. Take care – Detroitguy.

Archived