Mental Health Forums

Advice For Data Next Week - New Job

Data

Next week I start a great new job. I am nervous! I am going to be working as an artificial intelligence programmer on design problems within an engineering company. It will be scary as the AI techniques involved are not ones I've used before. Also, I am not that strong on engineering maths, so I will have some of that to learn. And the programming language they use is something I have no commercial experience of (I have dabbled in it as a hobby).

However, I remind myself that I am a good match for the job. I have nearly a year of commercial programming experience, so I can do it. And I have a PhD in the application of artificial intelligence to computer-aided design systems, the job only needs an MSc so I am over-qualified. The company seem to have a high opinion of me which may mean they have high expectations, which scares me.

So far, the advice to myself is:

1. Try and stay positive.
  2. If in doubt as to whether to say something, better to stay silent.
  3. Make eye contact, but do not stare.
  4. Try and be confident.
  5. Listen carefully to other people.
  6. Know yourself. Don't try and eliminate difficult emotions, deal with them.

For number 5: If I don't know the answer to a problem, I must not don't panic - you WILL learn the answer, if I just give myself time.

Number 6 is particularly important. One of the things that is strange to me is that I resent the complex nature of my employment status. I am employed by a Scottish university, but I work at an English engineering company. I think I'll end up losing out because I will be pulled between my two masters. Also, my new supervisor seems a bit aloof and dictatorial. My feelings on these things might be illogical, but sometimes trying to reason them away can be dangerous. I have to be aware of how I am feeling, and how that influences what I think and say, and how that affects other people.

I think it is so good that you took the time to prepare yourself like this! I am sure it will help you when things get a little tough.

hi Data

i think the things that have been most useful to me are:

- pace yourself: slow down and take your time. if doubt, hold back. don't react too quickly

- be very conscious that you're just starting and that pressure wouldn't help anyone in the same situation

- always always be kind to everyone around you. not sucking up, but really decent. it always makes a difference

- give yourself and those around you permission to be human: complicated, vulnerable mistake-makers

these are pertinent at work level itself, also being with people, and with the emotional internal theatre (ie be kind to yourself too)

wishing you a gentle and happy path into the job :)

That sounds like great advice for yourself Data :) Do you start on Monday?

Thanks, yes its Monday :).

I think it is so good that you took the time to prepare yourself like this! I am sure it will help you when things get a little tough.

Thanks

hi Data

i think the things that have been most useful to me are:

- pace yourself: slow down and take your time. if doubt, hold back. don't react too quickly

- be very conscious that you're just starting and that pressure wouldn't help anyone in the same situation

- always always be kind to everyone around you. not sucking up, but really decent. it always makes a difference

- give yourself and those around you permission to be human: complicated, vulnerable mistake-makers

these are pertinent at work level itself, also being with people, and with the emotional internal theatre (ie be kind to yourself too)

wishing you a gentle and happy path into the job :)

Thanks I like these! I think you are particularly right about the pressure, I think I put myself under too much pressure. Being kind is a good tip too. And I've not come across the phrase "emotional internal theatre" before, it seems to describe my mind very well!

I wish you all the best for this new job, Data. You sound well prepared, I'm impressed. :)

Thanks

Good luck for Monday!

Could I add some extra advice? It might be irrelevant for you or so completely obvious it's not really worth mentioning but please humour me!

-have as relaxing a weekend as possible but I know family life can get in the way of relaxation

-get everything ready that you need on Sunday afternoon so you're not rushing around last thing at night or the next morning which just creates extra stress

I'm so happy you've got this job.

Really good advice Emma. I am going to Ludlow Castle today with the family. My wife normally works Sundays but she has tomorrow off so we will have a nice lazy day together.

And I will get things ready for Monday morning, I've learned that from experience!

Mousie wrote some really amazing things, which are also ones I choose to work by and are serving me well in the social realm of work. Best of luck Data :)

Archived