Mental Health Forums

Disability Living Allowance/personal Independence Payment

Ollieclews

Hello everyone! It's coming up to the time when my DLA (Disability Living Allowance) is due to end and I will have to re-apply for PIP (Personal Independence Payment). I'm nervous because I know its a nightmare and its aimed at people with physical disabilities etc.

So I just wondered if people would mind sharing if you get PIP, if you get the standard or enhanced rate for Mobility and care and if you had to attend an assessment for it?

It would really be appreciated and if you have any tips or helpful info that would be awesome! Thankyou in advance,

Ollie

I'm in the same boat Ollie, Mine finishes in april and I'm scared stiff. I only got it last time by appeal . Sorry, I have no advice for you mate, but I'm hoping someone will be able to help us both.

1. supply copies of letters stating daignosis/diagnoses of MH conditions

2. get a supporting letter from your GP

3. get a supporting letter from your psychiatrist

4. get a supporting letter from your therapist/psychologist/any MH professional you've got contact with

5. get an advocate to write your application for you [this last one is vital for me. when i try, and i do try, to fill a form about me for me in, i get very ill and disorientated and massively stressed. that's not a prediction for you but has been my experience with me and if you can relate then perhaps this makes sense. i'm sorry if this part isn't helpful]

6. if you can get a letter in support of you from someone that knows you personally and has some sort of professional status ie a friend/relative you know that is also a doctor or other health professional, a civil servant, legal person etc then that could substantiate your claim

7. the form should be filled in with how your stuff gets at its worst. they need to assess with how acute and chronic your symptoms get to gauge what level to place your claim at

i hope this is useful. i wish you well with your application

I attended a workshop on this, organised by the CAB, 6 months ago. The system becomes more harsh on those with physical disabilities - the "virtually unable to walk" part that allows for high rate mobility; the new lists on PIP distinguish between those who need a wheelchair, those that need a wheelchair motorised - within these two aspects come the higher rate mobility. So previously those who were virtually unable to walk, are more at risk now and risk losing out on the mobility scheme.

For mental health issues, the CAB officer actually said that specific lists are dedicated to mental illness and aspects of care/mobility; so e.g. "the new assessment looks at an individual’s ability to carry out a broad range of everyday activities such as:

• washing
  • dressing
  • cooking
  • getting around

It also looks at reading, verbal communication and how someone engages with other people, which is one reason why it better recognises mental health conditions. In the past, higher rate mobility was focussed on individuals with a physical disability. Now claimants will be able to get the enhanced rate if their condition means they can’t plan and follow a familiar journey unassisted".

Keep evidence of your aspects of your disability - review the points they need and work your evidence around so you can get the higher rate (enhanced rate) mobility.

• 1 month later...

How's the application going, sir?

I've not heard of the PIP before. Applied for DLA twice but I didn't get it so I'm coping on ESA alone.

Would appreciate any advice for getting DLA/PIP!!

Archived