Mental Health Forums

Women And Mental Health

SusieQ

This is just a general point for discussion. I am not sure where to put it.

Was talking to my boyfriend last night and something came up which I have often thought about and was wondering what other people's views are on the subject. I told him I couldn't think of many of my female friends who had not at some point in their lives been on anti-depressants.

He said, 'Well I'm not surprised by that; most women are mentally ill.' Not sure if those were his exact words, but was something along those lines. I've heard that kind of statement often, or even sensed people thinking it although it is unsaid. I said I didn't agree with him.

I think the majority of 'mental health' problems, particularly with women, are social. i.e. the feeling we should be different to how we are is the problem, and that we need to control ourselves through the use of drugs. That certainly sums up my problems pretty well.

I am not trying to be sexist here or saying that this doesn't apply to men too, just that I've observed it more in women.

Was just wondering if other people have any thoughts / opinions on this.

I think that mental ill health is an increasingly common thing for all people, particularly in the west where our society and ways of thinking can end up making us feel that we are not enough as we are. I don't agree that most women are mentally ill (poor phrasing if that is what he said!) but perhaps more women are on antidepressants purely because they are more likely to acknowledge how they feel and if they are struggling and so they are more likely to go to a doctor and then get given medication? I think there's still a stigma felt by men and a belief that if they're struggling then they have to just sort it out and that somehow if they seek out help they're 'weak' (which they aren't).

Some people reckon that the help and diagonsis for BPD is more prevalent in women because they seek out help more readily and also because the same issues in men tend to be diagnosed as antisocial disorders as they can display as agression and acting out, but I'm not 100% on that one!

Archived