Mental Health Forums

Lithium And Caffeine

twilight

Just wondering if anyone could help me out. Someone just told me u should be careful with the amount of caffeine u drink when on lithium...is this true? I have never been told this by drs etc and I drink loads of coffee to keep me going as I don't sleep much. I guess it kind of makes sense with the whole dehydration thing but had never really thought about it.

Thx, Twi xxx

Twi,

Maintain adequate fluid intake by drinking 8 to 12 glasses of water or other fluid every day while taking lithium. Vigorous exercise, prolonged exposure to heat or sun, excessive sweating, fever, diarrhea, or vomiting may cause dehydration and side effects from lithium. Call your doctor if you lose a significant amount of body fluid as a result of sweating, diarrhea, or vomiting.

Do not change the amount of salt that you consume in your diet. Consuming more or less salt could change the amount of lithium in your blood.

taken from webmd.aol.com

it doesnt say anything specifically about caffine but it does seem to have concerns with the amount of fluid that is in your body. if you have had blood levels on your litium done and they are okay it would seem you could continue consuming the amount of caffine that is your current routine. ask you doctor.

bets

Thanks Bets!! I like the bit about no vigorous exercise!! :lol:

Kind of doesn't matter any more cos I've taken myself off all my meds so i guess i can go and drink as much coffee as I like!! :wacko:

Twi

:wub:

Twi when I was in the hospital, they told me to stay away from caffeine since I was on lithium, not sure why now but it might be worth looking into. Take care dear heart.

Thanx wabbit. Its weird that...u get different info everywhere u go! I was never told that and I drank so much coffee....especially in hospital...there was nothing else to do other than make mug after mug of coffee and argue over the t.v channel lol!! Actually...thats a lie, i found lots of other stuff to do, amazing what u can find in those places if u look hard enough! Thanx for replying hun xxx

I was on Lithium for 2 and a half years.....

:o WOAH NELLY!!!! STAY AWAY FROM CAFFEINE!!!!

IT WILL MESS WITH YOUR LITHIUM LEVEL AND MAKE YOU FEEL REAL BAD!!

ALSO, TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF WITH VITAMINS AND A GOOD DIET BECAUSE IF YOU GET A COLD ON LITHIUM YOU FEEL LIKE YOU ARE DYING!!!

Thanks for all the info!! I didn't get told any of this!! Yeah, I did feel like death when i got a cold but just thought it was me being pathetic lol!

Well I spent months drinking heaps of caffeine...lalala no wonder i was all over the place.

Not on the lithium now anyway but its all good to know this stuff espec if they put me back on it.

Thanx xxxx

Archived