Mental Health Forums

What Motivates You ?

Havehope

Very few things motivate me anymore....I can sit in front of the TV for hours sometimes....it's a contant battle...do other people feel like this?

What helps motivate you ?

I get that feeling ;-;

I'm not really sure what motivates me, if anything. I think sometimes characters in films/books can give me some energy, maybe a song sometimes, but generally it never comes easily. I'm so jealous of those who can be so creative and active.

Obligation.

I put myself in positions where I have to do something or really let someone down. Given that a lot of the time I get obsessed with doing/saying what people want to hear/see, letting someone down is something I can't process or they'll never want to be around me/I'll get cut from their life, etc. So that forces me to do stuff.

If I'm not in that position/if I have control of the situation, I'll cancel stuff left, right & centre & sit in a messy flat watching crap I don't even want to watch on the PC. Even reading is an effort these days, which is a hell of a shame.

In terms of motivating myself to do the right thing to help my current situation, it's anger. I've got angry at myself that I can't keep on as I am & as I've no way out (remanants of a Christian upbringing; suicides are automatically damned & this world is bad enough without going to hell!), I have to change my behaviours, even if my brain is yelling out against it. So I stay angry at myself for being pathetic & tell myself that I have to fight losing battles to win the war & it keeps me (externally to the people that... "matter") looking & being stronger. Of course if it fails I've no idea what to do but it's working atm!

Archived