Mental Health Forums

Do People Receiving Disability Payments Want To Remain Sick?

detroitguy

First off, I want to make it clear that I am in no way trying to start controversy in this post. The reason for the post is that I myself was receiving disability payments for 10 years before being able to get back to work although I do feel that I am still disabled to some degree. My disability was mental illness like others on the forum. Looking back I realize that when receiving disability payments I was being PAID TO BE SICK while now that I am working I am being PAID TO BE WELL. When I think about my time subsisting on disability payments, I sometimes felt that I needed to believe I was ill in order to alleviate the guilt I felt when receiving benefits. Also, by letting myself "feel sick" it also helped alleviate the fears that benefits may be taken away at some time. I know that working a competitive job while having a disability in itself was risky in that I knew I could be one of the first to be let go if there was a downturn assuming that my functioning at work was below average (do to the disability). Also, the disability safety net would then be gone. I guess what I am driving at is that disability payments in themselves can sometimes become a trap that is hard to get out of. It can be very scary to leave the security of the safety net. I was wondering if anyone has any comments about this? - Detroitguy.

I can only speak about my experiences here, as this is a very personal topic for people and the way each of us feel about our benefits is completely valid.

I receive a generous amount for a physical disability, and have been for the last 5 years. I spend some of this on equipment for my home, bus and taxi fares as I can't drive, that sort of stuff. In fairness, I would easily have enough for my expenses if I received less. I used to feel a bit guilty for having so much paid to me just for "being ill", but then I realised that it doesn't stop me leading a full life, and helps me to do just that. I still work, go to uni, and everything else so I don't have the issue of letting myself feel ill in order to "earn" my money. I earn it just through the fact that I have a disability, and my expenses could go up at any time if I change my treatment, or suddenly get worse. Besides, I am likely to lose some if not all of my benefits when I have to apply for PIP, which will be very hard to apply for given my type of illness.

So no, I don't want to remain sick, but I don't feel guilty for receiving help given I am sick and am likely to remain so.

in the psychology trade this is called secondary gain

if someone is ill

there may be an expectation to get well

to 'man up' and all that

by the individual

or by others

or by the individual expecting others to expect

or a combination of these factors

the guilt is one thing

but fear can keep a person stuck

due to stepping out from the known

and into the unknown

or unfamiliar (often due to years of dysfunction/disability)

of expectations, performance demands

fear of people saying 'i told you so'

that they could 'do it all along'

and be accused of malingering

so in just my opinion

everyone's on a health continuum

with incentives and disincentives

often with one outweighing the other

which isn't intentional

but organically developed

nobody puts being seriously messed up into their 5 year plan!

for me i'm longing to return to work i love

but while i'm messed this up, it would be unethical

and i'm grateful for my benefits

and do feel guilty

i burst into tears and had a panic attack when i was awarded my place to live

cos i thought i was robbing someone else of it

and yet i've been diagnosed with two severe psych disorders

and the country's health reps have defined appropriate what i've been awarded

so i receive, with gratitude

and there are days when i'm spectacularly high functioning

more so than many 'out there in functional-land'

and yet there are days when my shit is clearly not in one bucket

so its mitigated

so....

when it comes down to it

its not a perfect science

human beings aren't maths

not straight forward

otherwise i'd be first in the queue for the panacea pamphlet

and this is factored in

compassionate kindness, acceptance and understand in democracy

pretty freakin cool :)

(until it hits the fan with PIP

- in the uk -

but then this is being shot to hell as too inflexible

and is leaving out too many

so here's hoping)

I work am currently trying to apply for PIP but they are causing as much issues as possible.

As I said I work but because of my illness I do struggle and as I'm on a 0 hour contract any sort of help would be appreciated. Whether or not I get it we'll see.

I don't think it pays people to be ill and therefore not get better. Being unemployed is a mixture of circumstances and some who have mental health issues can work and some can't. In order for me to work I have to have certain things in place which does cost me money and right now I'm left with very little at the end of the month. I don't receive any other benefits and I may not even get PIP, but what I'm trying to say is that you can't have it so cut and dry when it comes to disability allowance.

a friend told me about this a few days ago...

on 4th december the court of appeal (england) rejected the government's appeal against a landmark ruling by the upper tribunal that the work capability assessment discriminates against people with mental health problems

which is i think promising news

I don't feel guilty about receiving benefits because I feel I've earned them. I do think I get more than I need so I give 12% to charity and sometimes I give other random donations. I don't need it all so I give some of it to people who need it more (though I don't usually donate money to charities I can benefit from). But I do feel a bit guilty when my GP does something for me and insists they waive the fee on the grounds that I 'have no income'. It's very kind of them but I can pay the fee easily.

But I don't think it's something everyone should do- you come first!

Archived