Mental Health Forums

Looking For More Info And Support

tazius

Hi.

Man, I hate introduction posts because I never know what to say.

Basically, I have been suffering from ill mental health officially since I was 16 years old when I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. However, I was never completely satisfied with this diagnosal as I felt like some of the things I was experiencing did not quite fit in with what I was being told. I am now almost 22 years old and have continued to struggle with my mental health, especially over the past 2 years in which I have been especially bad.

Last night I was attempting to look something up as it seems to have been getting worse lately [derealization] to the point where it's become quite worrying for me. And connected to the page was 'Borderline Personality Disorder'. Previously I had ignored BPD when doing research as I was under the misconception that it was similar to MPD, and the closest I had gotten was Bipolar but which didn't quite fit so Ii left it alone until now.

Upon reading the information about BPD I actually had to keep taking breaks because I became so overwhelmed by what I was reading, to the point where I was actually trembling. I have gone almost my entire life (since at least the age of 10) exhibiting almost all of the symptoms of BPD but was dismissed with 'adjustment disorder', depression and anxiety. I cannot even begin to describe how lonely and how much of a struggle my life has been, and now I finally feel like I've found what I've been looking for.

So yes. That was the introduction part as such.

From here I'd like to find more support resources. Essentially, I would like to go to my GP and ask if I can have a psychiatric reevaluation, but I'm not even sure if that's a thing Ii can do and I'm completely paranoid that I will just be dismissed again and won't be able to receive the correct form of treatment.

Hi Tazious and welcome to the forum

You are entitled to a re-assessment from a psychiatrist and it will help if you tell your GP how bad you are feeling. I would keep your self diagnosis to yourself as GP's don't always appreciate being told about things like that.

You will find lots of support and info here and I look forward to getting to know you.

Starry x

Archived