Mental Health Forums

Being Alone

Darkmist

I have been alone this Christmas.

Lots of calls from friends and family but, basically, alone as far as not having anyone here with me.

I've made it through Christmas (just one little cut).

New Year, on the other hand, is a different subject.

The time of New Year resolutions, promises.

All the things I have done in the past but can't do anymore because I know I can't keep to the resolutions or the promises to myself.

How do other people here cope with this.

I know the obvious answer is to not make any resolutions but I feel that I need to have some kind of goal.

How do you guys cope with this?

What Jim said. I'm making myself go out with friends just so I avoid the feeling of "no one wants me to go out" but as far as resolutions are concerned, it's all artificial. Make your resolutions any time you want. That way they're organic, they matter to you, they're not "I resolve to floss my knees twice daily" that you then forget. In this boat, dude, it's not worth putting the pressure on yourself!

What Jim said. I'm making myself go out with friends just so I avoid the feeling of "no one wants me to go out" but as far as resolutions are concerned, it's all artificial. Make your resolutions any time you want. That way they're organic, they matter to you, they're not "I resolve to floss my knees twice daily" that you then forget. In this boat, dude, it's not worth putting the pressure on yourself!

Oh you made me laugh - "I resolve to floss my knees twice daily". :D

I think you are both right which is what is was thinking. DBT tells us to live in the moment which you can't do if you make resolutions.

Has everyone managed to get DBT except me?! Damn you East Sussex Mental Health trust, you bastards!!! :axehead::grrr::mad0233:

Glad the knee flossing has been brought to the fore, it's been a taboo topic for far too long.

I guess we'll let John get away with it on the grounds of age but Hopeangel, I expected better of you! ;)

Glad you're laughing, Darkmist & yeah, make your own resolutions in your own time. I have a whole journal section of them & various rules but they're ones I've set myself in my own time for my own good, hence they're easier to stick to & not pressured.

John, would you like some ice for those burns? I see there are plenty of others to ridicule you when I'm not around :P

Speaking of new years, I heartily dislike this time of year. It's all crap and over hyped and ends with me feeling more empty and alone that before. Try and imagine it's like any other day, maybe distract yourself with something awesome, I'm sure you can think of something. Now, I must buy floss...

We can't not ridicule John, he'd feel unloved. ;)

Yeah! That! Too much hype & pressure to "have a great one." My night will consist of seeing friends & getting utterly rat-arsed at their expense before passing out.

I hear there's a floss sale at Boots. ;)

I will be doing my duty as a Nan I'll be looking after my grandchildren, I have not celebrated new yrs eve out of my house in a pub or club since I were 25 ... and I don't miss it, it's just another night but with boring tv so I get DVD' s and have a little sesh of my fave films... while keeping an eye on my two boys sleeping soundo ... does flossing help With the knee dimples??? ;)

What ever you are doing this new years eve take care and be safe .. be kind to yourself, and yeah I never make resolutions as I know I won't stick to it.... I will do it in my own time. When things are more stable for us ...x

I don't think I've ever celebrated New Year's anywhere except in my house with my parents. No one else to celebrate with. But if there was I probably wouldn't be in any condition to remember if I celebrated or not. Officially I don't drink but there's something about New Year that makes me want to drink and drink till I can't remember what day it is.

The new year parties on here are good though.

I just hope my mum doesn't pressure me to make resolutions. She used to make them for me. When I was 17 it was "Your new year's resolutions should be to get a job and learn to drive." 5 years on I haven't done either yet and don't really want to. I did have driving lessons for about 2 years but I couldn't do it.

The resolutions I'd like to make are much more fun.

1. Buy a purple cloche hat

2. Learn to walk upstairs in my new green shoes without crawling on my hands and knees and flashing anyone who knocks on the door

3. Keep my money below £6000 so the benefits people don't get annoyed. If that means buying more shoes then so be it.

4. Practise flexibility and try to get my feet on the back of my head again.

5. Try to remember that my lap is not a good place for a cup of tea.

Well that's my NYE arrangements cancelled, my host unexpectedly has to work! However, you guys are making staying in sound really rather attractive! Why be out in the cold & dark & noise when one can stay in with a comfy chair, a good book and/or films. Is there a party here tonight, Emma?

Yeah, parents are full of resolutions like that! Ones that are "really for your own good" but set expectations really high!

Your resolutions sound good, especially number 3. I'm wondering, however whether numbers 2 & 4 are linked in some way? ;)

And Jelly-bean, it does but it increases the chances of knobbles. :D

Archived