Mental Health Forums

Does Your Mood Stabilizer Make You Sleep A Lot?

angel tears

Hi

I am back on 300mg of quetiapine and i just can't wake myself up in the morning, it takes me ages to feel awake....sometimes it's nearly time to take the next dose as i take it in the evening and i sleep very well on it. I slept for 12 hours last night!!!!!. Does anybody else find that they sleep loads on their meds?.

xxx

Quetiapine has this effect on me too angel. I took just 25mg extra in addition to my normal dose the other day and it knocked me out for a few hours! I think it is known for its sedative effects, so don't worry it's not just you! Do you take normal release or modified release tablets? I have found a mixture of both to suit me best - I take some standard release at night which helps me sleep and then some slow release in the mornings to see me through the day but without zombifying me. I know my local health authority aren't keen on prescribing the modified release as it is more expensive. They tried to switch me back to standard without consulting anyone but I made a fuss and said my psychiatrist had spent ages getting the balance right (which he had) and they allowed me to keep it as it was. Anyway, it's just a thought - maybe something to investigate with your doc? It has certainly helped me get the benefits without so much sleeping...

My daughter is on 600 mg quetiapine because she gets very poorly without it with anxiety and psychosis, she's been on it for years, gradually increasing the dose and now can function normally and usually gets up at a reasonably early hour but there was a long period where she had the same experience as you, I think its took a couple of years to get her body used to the side-effect of lethargy but its ok now! xx

Ok thanks for that, I am on slow release tablets, I usually don't feel it until later on in the evening and then I sleep for England!!. It's gonna take a while to get in to my system properly. B4 I tried to stop it I was feeling really good, now I am depressed again. I wish I hadn't messed with it!! Xxxx

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

i just take 50mg quitiepine plus myrtazepine, i sleep pretty good and wasn't before, but i find even the extra 25 quitiepine makes me dopey the next day.. i think you are s'posed to get used to it tho...

xx lali

Archived