Mental Health Forums

Name Change

SusieQ

I want to change my profile name on this site. I know I've done this once before, but I'm not sure how to do it, or if you still can even. Anyone able to help with this?

I can change your name for you but we only do it when there are serious reasons to do as it gets very confusing for other members.

Feel free to PM me about it.

Lily

Thought you may say something like that. I understand its pretty confusing when people change names so I thought that may have been stopped. Just don't think I really identify with my name any more and its a bit weird and obscure. I don't think that reason is important enough for the terms of this site, so we can leave it for now.

Lenina

I'd like to change mine as well- it's starting to annoy me! (This isn't a request for a change, it's just a 'yes I think I can relate to that' post.)

It is difficult to be labelled with something that just isn't you anymore, identity can be such a big part of mental health problems. With me I'd like to be able to look at my username and feel "yes that's me" which can be quite a calming and grounding feeling, almost a feeling that I still exist but apart from the last 4 letters I don't feel like it is me.

But like you I can see it would cause confusion, it would stop other members from 'recognising' me (which wouldn't be good for any of us, they'd see me and think of me as a stranger so they'd feel less comfortable with me and then I'd probably pick up on that and feel rejected). So even though it would make me feel better in some ways to change my username it would make me feel worse in others.

I didn't know your name was Lenina, that's so pretty! If you wanted I could use your name when I speak to you, maybe that would help a bit?

Thanks Emma. Glad to hear that others relate to this. I think I'll just change my avatar instead when I get around to it cos I'm sick of this smokey mountain thing.

Lenina is not my 'real life' name either, just one I better relate to - Lenina Crowne from 'Brave New World,' if you know that. I'd like to be called Lenina though as my real name is pretty uninteresting.

Hi Lenina :)

I've heard of Brave New World but I've never read it. I'll add it to my list of books to read, it has about 30 books on there (I got lots of books for Christmas and I've also started reading plays) but I'll get there eventually!

That's especially interesting because the name I wish I could have as my username is also a character in a book (I'm wary of posting it on here because I have this paranoia that my mum might join the site and recognise me but I can pm it if you want to know). I wonder if there are any other people on here who have named themselves after a character they like or wanted to.

Archived