Mental Health Forums

Is This All It Takes To Fuck Me Up?

ashleigh22

i had an eating disorder ... HAD... I've been totally fine for about two years, possibly more, though i still regularly weigh myself just to make sure I'm healthy, not too thin and not too fat...

according to healthy weight scales I'm right smack bang in the middle, then about 6 months ago i just lost half a stone, completely unaware of it, i hadn't changed my diet, i hadn't changed exercise ( i don't exercise) everything was the same... i was slightly more stressed but then if i was eating the same i don't understand how that can make you lose weight.

anyway everything was still fine, my head would say "this is great, its like a free head start, lets do it" as in stop eating to get a lower weight but i would argue.. also in my head "nope, no way, not again, don't even think about it" and i would forget about it and my weight would stay at that weight....

so today I'm on the scales for a routine check up and I've lost weight again (honestly i swear to god it was unintentional) but again all hell breaks loose in my head like "fan-bliddy-tastic this is like a gift, i can eat and still lose weight"

im worried if i can't keep convincing myself its not worth it that i'll just fall back into old ways.

Hi,

I hear you,Ive been anorexic and I had those thoughts.

The fact that youre so worried about falling back is a good sign to me. Having those thoughts is ok, its normal they pop up but youre the boss you do not have to act on them. You know all the reasons that in reality you do not want to go back there.

As for the weight loss, stress can make you burn more energy, or have you been more active?

Or are you eating less then you realise?

Did you have an eating plan to gain weight before? Can you maybe apply it now.

Stress always makes me lose weight too, and I get the feeling of, this is like a gift. It does feel you have won some sort of prize and it is easy to want to start playing around with the results too, I really can identify with that part.

For me, I just try and say to myself, my weight is going to flux up and down a little through my life span and as long as it means not having to buy a new wardrobe I am doing okay, it doesn't have to be anything I need to act on.

thanks guys thats brilliant advice !!

i didn't realise that stress made you burn energy so yeah thats probably right, i haven't been more active and i haven't been eating less so it must be the stress :/

i kind of feel like "yaaaayyyy stress" thats not good hahah, though since starting the post i haven't fallen into starvation so thats good :)

• 1 month later...

Just to eliminate anything else, maybe go and have chat with your GP about the sudden weight loss. If you have a good relationship with your doctor and you feel comfortable talking to them, then it's always wise to share any concerns with them RE: weight loss.

I totally agree that being stressed can make you lose weight, because the inner turmoil is using energy from your body. Weight also varies according to the time of year, how much water is in your system, what kinds of things you're eating and a lot of other factors. Congratulations on staying the right weight for so long and wanting to stay there! You are already streets ahead in the battle. Are you eating all the same things? But really - just the warmer weather triggers your body to shed half a stone, it's a natural process. I hope it comes right for you.

Archived