Mental Health Forums

Do You Find The Evenings Difficult?

Havehope

I find that if I`m busy during the day I can cope....but the evenings can be a nightmare for me especially living alone....all my demons

seems to hit me....do other people feel the same ??

Yep, absolutely. My living situation is probably a lot different from yours but it's still the same loneliness and the negative thoughts creeping in. Especially, I find, if I wake up in the middle of the night. That's always the worst.

I think I need to live with someone or have a halfway house as I find being alone is detrimental to my mental health now...ive lived alone for 28 years...

Yes, evenings can be difficult to me too. As you put it, I'm keeping busy during daytime, then the evening comes and there's nothing anymore to ground me naturally. I agree that living alone is another hard parameter too.

Oh Yes evenings are the worse for me too, I find during the day I am able to keep myself busy of an evening it is when my thoughts and bad behaviour start creeping in.

I do try and keep myself busy - watch films, play games, do some writing - but quite often it just overwhelms any distractions. It totally sucks, really.

I'm the opposite. I find the mornings the hardest. I just want to stay in bed but have to get up at seven thirty to sort the kids out for school. Once the school run is over I feel a lot better.

I ebb and flow with that one, sometimes it is harder and other times it seems to be just what I want. I've never been very good at coming up with the right balance when it comes to interacting with others.

Lately it feels like the sun going down is the end of possibilities for the day.

Yep. After 9pm is the worst. I used to have a drinking problem but I only drank on an evening. I hate it when I lie in bed as well, my mind races.

There is something about the evening when my mind wanders, I think about the past day and the day ahead. Then I think about the failures in my life, the things I am worried about ahead of me, etc etc.

Things are a lot better nowadays but I still occasionally take a sleeper.

• 1 month later...

Nights are hell. I can't sleep, and I get convinced that I'm dying...I'm consumed with guilt, hopelessness, etc., etc.

I find the night easiest, my parents are out of the way at night and I generally find my physical health is worse when I first get up and I feel better throughout the day so by night time I'm feeling my best. I also feel more creative when it's dark, the night time seems almost magical and I'm sure it helps that there's no chance of anyone coming into my room.

Then the evenings are next easiest as there's often good TV and I know it's nearly night time. The worst time of day is whatever time I get up, usually the afternoon. I feel so ill when I get up and the house seems too full and I'm scared of putting a foot wrong. But if I get up in the morning the afternoon isn't so bad because I'm starting to feel better by then.

Actually, oddly, things have reversed for me since I first posted in this thread. Much prefer the evenings now, gives me time to myself and I'm less likely to run into stress and arguments.

I'm changeable, that's why I'm so fascinating! :confused02:

Definitely, I enjoy an evening in to myself but only if I'm constantly texting someone to stay in contact & be alone without feeling lonely. Evenings are also when I eat too, not that I'm hungry, just... it's something nice.

Archived