Mental Health Forums

Quetipine

johnbooth1963

Hi John,

I have been on quetiapine now for nearly 2 years, I take 300mg daily at the moment. Its an anti psychotic that also acts as a mood stabilizer, anti depressant and sedative.

I have found it to be great at keeping me "stable" I still have bad days and small periods of crisis but nothing like how I used to be. I've been lucky and I havent really had any side effects. I think it may have contributed to my weight gain a little but theres no proof of this. It will also make you feel very drowsy and out of it a while after you take it and the morning after but this usually eases quite a bit after a couple of weeks.

Hope this helps!

Hi :) Quetiapine really helped me to sleep, balanced my mood and my appetite, reduced my anxiety, and also helped in when I hit a blip and would usually experience hallucinations (mostly auditory, but also visual), this didnt happen, or only happened on a much smaller scale. It also helped reduce the stress-induced delusions (preoccupation with being watched/followed/recorded), to the point where I was able to rationalise the minor incidents (catching myself glancing round the room checking for cameras, for example) that only occasionally occurred. It was a really good medication for me, and over the period I was on it my dosage varied from 25mg to 250mg. Xx

First night on Quetiapine, and I feel like crap. Was hard to fall asleep, and I feel dopey today. Slept until 11am. (normally I'm up at 6am latest). I feel doped up. Still, early days, I hope i'll feel better as I get used to it.

it can really zonk some folks out

when i was working in PDs it was the one drug that did anything for the folks i was supporting

it takes a while for psychiatric meds to kick in, so do give it time

any concerns, tell your prescribing doc and ask them to talk you through all its effects

as an aside, ive been asking for this med for years, with no success

just anti-depressants

none of which have helped

just my opinion but this is one of the best out there

i hope it really works for you :)

I used to take Quetiapine. For the first day or two, I was like a zombie, I remember waking up with my speech slurred.

My dosage varied from 25-200mg. To start off with, it was a mood stabilizer and to enhance my antidepressant.

But it ended up being for occasional insomnia, and now I've been switched to Zopiclone for that (which is more addictive than Quetiapine).

Hey John,

i found that it knocked me out till late morning for the first ten days or so, then it seemed to level out,

i take 50 at night plus 25 in the day if i feel the need, it has the effect of a mid tranquiliser i guess, not as strong as diazepam but i prefer it and find it kind of helpful..

it is an anti psychotic but for full on psychosis people get 800mg a day.... !

good luck with it i hope you find it at least helps you get off to sleep,

xx lali xx

Hi..

SO my issue is sever OCD and depression and I was offered 50mgs of quetiapine...

apparently I should NOT put on weight ( I have an eating disorder ) but what are your own experiences? They told me higher doses are for psychosis and people do put on weight but such a small one should just help me sleep....

I bloody hate my life now...!

Archived