Mental Health Forums

Weight Gain.

Chip2014

The medication I'm on (Olanzapine 15mg) has caused me to gain two dress sizes, I'm now a size 14. So I'm watching my diet carefully, eating only three times a day sensible portions etc, I train at kickboxing for an hour a week but being a single parent at the moment I can't go out for jogs with my dog.

Has anyone else had this problem with their medication?

So I went on Amazon and bought myself those XLS Medical fat binders I've seen on TV, to compliment my diet, I'm praying they work! Has anyone else tried them?

What do you do to control your weight?

Chip x

Hi Chip

I was on Olanzapine about 4 years ago and I put on loads of weight because of it. It is renowned for it because it stops

that bit of your brain that controls when you feel full. I'm now on Risperidone which is also an anti-psychotic but doesn't cause weight gain. If it is really bothering you go back to your GP/Pdoc and ask for a different anti-p...in the meantime I would advise eating off smaller plates, not snacking and keep exercising.

Good luck

Starry x

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Abilify/Aripiprozole is meant to be the most weight neutral anti P. I was on it for a year and only gained a small amount of weight if I remember correctly. x

I've gained a huge amount of weight in the last 3 years because of medications. I used to weigh about 130lbs but have averaged at 230lbs for the last couple years. I'm finally losing weight now after being taken off a couple meds.

My general doctor told me that Seroquel XR and Abilify are huge weight gainers. But a lot of it does depend on the person. Like the choices in lifestyle but also the way your body is. I took both at the same time unfortunately.

Eating healthy, watching portions (some meds do make you feel constantly hungry or shut off that feeling you get when you're full), getting some exercise in and just keeping track of any changes in your body. A lot of doctors are willing to change medications if you are gaining too much weight, or gaining weight faster than you should. It can cause health problems so most won't argue with you.

I'm sorry I can't be much more helpful than that. =)

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on Aripiprozole for about two months now and haven't shifted any weight yet, it's making me miserable, I look fat in my wedding pics and my husband is like slim and muscular which makes me look worse :(

• 2 weeks later...

Now that's interesting as when I complained about weight gain on Quetiapine she said it was a fairly weight neutral option.... In comparison. I think we just all react so differently :-(

im on quietiapine and have managed to lose 3 stone while on it over about 2 years, i think it was my nerves that helped,

people do react differently on meds but i did put weight on while taking antidepressants, im not on any now.

its a matter of finding the right one for you.

lightworker

In the summer, I enjoy walking around the town. I also sometimes enjoy the gym, where I try get involved in all the different exercises. (A bit chicken for group exercises though).

I run...it helps with anger issues...I don't eat processed food or food from unknown sources. Human brain cannot tell if we are hungry or thirsty...people often eat when they need a drink of water...I often check by drinking water first.. Steve

Archived