Mental Health Forums

Quetiapine, Eds And Weight Gain?

rosiemae

Very new here!

My Dx is longstanding eating disorder (currently struggling with binge purge cycles and laxative addiction), borderline personality disorder with severe self harm/suicidal ideation and anxiety, and a mood disorder (most likely bipolar 2 - I've had some hypomanias/mixed episodes)

I've just been started on quetiapine 50mg to be increased to 100mg tomorrow night and I am absolutely terrified of the weight gain. I keep reading things online saying how much people gained and couldn't control it even with a restrictive diet and exercise. Food is already a huge issue and I'm just wondering if anyone else who has an eating disorder has experience with this medication?

Basically just terrified right now..I feel calmer and less impulsive, but if quetiapine is going to make me balloon I can't possibly stay on it I hate being out of control

I'm in recovery for disordered eating, but when I was initially prescribed quietiapine, I wasnt. I think it actually went a long way to helping me recover - although that was a shit-scary thought at the time! I didnt pile the weight on, nor did it fall off me. I felt very little need to binge, although my appetite was virtually non-existent unless I DID feel the urge to binge previous to being put on quet..... once on it, my appetite increased slowly and gradually and I was able to manage that really well. If I denied the niggles of hunger, it wasnt too difficult, but it also didnt feel torturous to go with them and soothe them by eating a little. It helped massively with balancing my appetite at a level that I could manage, and so I was able to recover slowly and with small steps. Usually you find with binge eating issues, its a lot harder to resist the urge, but because I think my moods were more balanced too, my binge urges seemed much weaker, therefore easier to overcome :) xx

I'm in recovery for disordered eating, but when I was initially prescribed quietiapine, I wasnt. I think it actually went a long way to helping me recover - although that was a shit-scary thought at the time! I didnt pile the weight on, nor did it fall off me. I felt very little need to binge, although my appetite was virtually non-existent unless I DID feel the urge to binge previous to being put on quet..... once on it, my appetite increased slowly and gradually and I was able to manage that really well. If I denied the niggles of hunger, it wasnt too difficult, but it also didnt feel torturous to go with them and soothe them by eating a little. It helped massively with balancing my appetite at a level that I could manage, and so I was able to recover slowly and with small steps. Usually you find with binge eating issues, its a lot harder to resist the urge, but because I think my moods were more balanced too, my binge urges seemed much weaker, therefore easier to overcome :) xx

Wow thank you so much for your response I found this really helpful to read. I definitely think I will be similar in terms of being able to cope better with binges once my mood is stabilized. And so far I've had none of the 'sugar cravings' I've read about from other people on quetiapine. I'm hoping to have a similar sort of reaction to it in terms of not too much of a crazy appetite. Bit early to tell right now..but I guess I should just stick with it and see how it goes? I certainly feel calmer..

Thanks Suzy for sharing this- I am supposed to be prescribed qutiapine in small 50mg dose for depression and OCD thoughts that are overwhelming. However I have anorexia and my immediate response was NO.

I cannot give it a try now, but hopefully in a weeks time... now my body is trying to regenerate after my few recent overdoses on anti-histamines and different crap.

I cannot use the excuse- safe overdsoe- any more as this is the first time I got serious urinary problems and ended up walking with an urine bag... not pleasant whatsoever...

This cycle of self-destruction needs to end soon. Otherwise my body and mind will shut down on me...

Thanks Suzy for sharing this- I am supposed to be prescribed qutiapine in small 50mg dose for depression and OCD thoughts that are overwhelming. However I have anorexia and my immediate response was NO.

I cannot give it a try now, but hopefully in a weeks time... now my body is trying to regenerate after my few recent overdoses on anti-histamines and different crap.

I cannot use the excuse- safe overdsoe- any more as this is the first time I got serious urinary problems and ended up walking with an urine bag... not pleasant whatsoever...

This cycle of self-destruction needs to end soon. Otherwise my body and mind will shut down on me...

Sorry you're having such a tough time of it. You're right you need to take care of yourself and try to prevent overdosing as much as possible..I know it's hard. I've had similarly awful experiences ODing on antihistamines. Seizures and urinary problems and everything. But it's just not worth it..the feelings will pass but doing irreparable damage to your body can't be taken back.

Look after yourself xox

I didn't even realize when I had a seizure! I was just suddenly undressed as apparently spilled a jug of watter when having a seizure... couldn't reallly move so I was protesting just a little, now had to walk with a 'bag' for a week... well its a new experience as I thought my body is undamagable (is that a word?) but my CPN kind of made an ultimatum- either I will seek help when in diffiult emotions or he will deem me as unfit to study. He also mentioned that if I don't start eating I am on a good way to ending up in a hospital (ED is not my main issue- it is OCD and depression). Then they said if I dont want to try quetiapine simply because of me not believing in it it is a shame- as I am not even giving it a try...

But I do undderstand you rosiemae- it is difficult to read- 'I put on weight so much' 'I got obese'

I will give it a try, but know for purely physical reasons- I cant. I feel fine physically, but apparently Im not... pfffff!

I don't personally believe in medication (quite awkward as I study pharmacy) but I know that it may at least be a first step into taking care of myslef...

Love,

I am currently in recovery from severe anorexia and I have been taking quetiapine for several years - started when I was much less 'in recovery' and much more being controlled by my ED. I think it has been a real help in my recovery as it quells my most incessant tortuous thought cycles and I would recommend trying it. I wasn't put on it for my ED specifically, I also have BPD/anxiety/dissociative issues, but obviously I was very caught up in the idea of weight gain at the time I started it. I have not experienced any as a result of taking it at all. It's not been without its other side effects (most notably drowsiness / fuzziness especially early on) but with regards to appetite and such; nothing.

I think everyone reacts to drugs differently so don't panic about what you have read. Yeah some people may have put on weight but how many of those could prove it was definitely and only the quetiapine that caused it? I doubt many could. Plus, even if it did cause them a change in eating habits their experience by no means dictates what might happen for you. I guess I'm saying why not give it a shot. Those that have prescribed it to you know about your ED issues and must have seen benefits that it could bring you; they wouldn't have chosen a drug to deliberately make life (even more) difficult for you!

It may work, it may not but if you don't try you'll never know! Good luck!

I am currently in recovery from severe anorexia and I have been taking quetiapine for several years - started when I was much less 'in recovery' and much more being controlled by my ED. I think it has been a real help in my recovery as it quells my most incessant tortuous thought cycles and I would recommend trying it. I wasn't put on it for my ED specifically, I also have BPD/anxiety/dissociative issues, but obviously I was very caught up in the idea of weight gain at the time I started it. I have not experienced any as a result of taking it at all. It's not been without its other side effects (most notably drowsiness / fuzziness especially early on) but with regards to appetite and such; nothing.

I think everyone reacts to drugs differently so don't panic about what you have read. Yeah some people may have put on weight but how many of those could prove it was definitely and only the quetiapine that caused it? I doubt many could. Plus, even if it did cause them a change in eating habits their experience by no means dictates what might happen for you. I guess I'm saying why not give it a shot. Those that have prescribed it to you know about your ED issues and must have seen benefits that it could bring you; they wouldn't have chosen a drug to deliberately make life (even more) difficult for you!

It may work, it may not but if you don't try you'll never know! Good luck!

Thank you! You're totally right about not being able to disseminate between what is weight gain due to quetiapine and what is weight gain due to other factors in someone's life. And as you say it's totally dependent on the individual, but so far I feel a lot calmer and able to deal with the basic self-care tasks ie going out in the day, showering, washing up. I think it's helping with those negative, tortuous thought cycles as you mentioned. I'm feeling pretty tachycardic today, think because the dose has gone up. I'm hoping this will subside? The fuzziness is weird..

• 2 months later...

I have been on 300-500mg of Quetiapine for a while now and I hate it. I'm in negotiations with the consultants about a change of meds. Unfortunately I have gained a substantial amount of weight on it and coupled with a long history of ED's it's sparked more issues than what it was prescribed to help with!

I have spent hours reading up on people's side effects with it and although there are 100s of entries onlie about weight gain there are also just as many who say it barely made a difference to them. Personal example, I'm considerably rounder but someone I know who took it although was zonked out didn't put hardly any weight on. I think all tablets react different to each person.

I think it's about weighing up the pros and cons - is the weight gain worth it for a taste of normality? It isn't for me.

xx

Archived