Mental Health Forums

Support Worker

Bubbles..

Does anyone have a support worker? What do they do? My CPN asked if I want one and I need to let her know next week, I can't find much info about them.

I think support worker means different things to different people. In my mh place it seems to be a blanket term for anyone who gives you any kind of support- my social worker and therapist were both support workers. Your cpn probably has something more specific than that in mind but it's hard to be sure what.

But I can understand about wanting to know what it means right now, it's hard to know if you want one if you don't know what it is. Every cmht should have a welcome pack or something that explains all these terms, they can be really confusing for professionals as well as clients. Once my drama therapist asked who my 'key worker' was, I had never heard the term before but I said it was probably him as he was the only person who gave me support. But he was convinced that must be wrong because he said he wasn't a key worker so he got in contact with the cmht and they told him he was my key worker. So to the drama therapist it obviously meant someone who did a specific job but to the cmht as a whole it was just the person who gave me the most support.

• 1 month later...

I hope your new support worker is nice and you feel comfortable with her, plus she explains what her role with you is, so you feel more in the know :-)

Archived