Mental Health Forums

Can't Cope With Job Centre...

Havehope

just finished the government work programme and now back to the job centre. they're not interested in people with mh problems. they have their stats to fill...you just become a number to get off their books...think all this is going to send me into a depression...

have a clinical assessment next Monday for possible BPD and social anxiety...

Its a shame that they make people go to the job centre who can't cope with it. If you can't cope with the job centre, you can't cope with work :(.

Hello

Sorry you are having a hard time with the job centre, there should be another process for people with mental health problems, a less stressful one...It's the same for people on esa, going for atos assessments. I get that they have to do it, otherwise they wouldn't know who needed what, but it doesn't help the distress it puts people like us through.

Egan

Good luck with the assessment Havehope. Do you think you might be able to tell the people there about the job centre? They might be able to help with some sort of appeal.

My job centre person was quite nice as a human being. She is the only person I've ever met who completely failed at learning to drive and eventually gave up so she never really batted an eyelid when I said I'd failed again/given up driving after being abandoned by another instructor, she said she admired me for sticking with it so long.

But at the time I didn't really appreciate her kindness because going to see her was an ordeal. She admitted it was a waste of everyone's time for me to apply for jobs I wasn't capable of doing but her job was to get me a job and that meant making sure I applied. Then she was always going through all the official rants like "did you know you have been on our books for a year and you've only had 2 interviews????". She saw the failings in the system but she wasn't in a position to change it.

The disability advisor was much worse. She was in a wheelchair which gave the job centre a good image but she didn't know anything about mental health and just couldn't see why it was a problem. "You haven't got a problem with talking, you're talking to me now, you're not mute." "No, people don't make you want to kill yourself. If they did, you'd have done it." "You can walk and use both hands so I don't know what we can really do for you." Horrible to listen to but she probably wasn't in a position to change things even if she had understood.

Archived