Mental Health Forums

Anybody Doing/done Emdr?

angel tears

Hi

I met my new therapist today for emdr... Will be starting soon. Has anybody else tried it?, what results did you get?. I am doing it for trauma from my abusive ex xxx

Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprossessing. It's a way of reprossessing trauma so that it will stop affecting the sufferer and... well... be processed. It's based on the theory that the eye movements during REM sleep help to process things and so when they are applied during a patient remembering the traumatic event, the brain which has been 'frozen' at that point in time and hasn't processed the event, will, upon replication of those REM eye movements allow the trauma to be processed and released so that it no longer affects the sufferer.

I'm not an expert though so I may be wrong, that's just what I've gleaned from articles over the years.

I have no experience of it but my amazing GP (who has left my surgery now) thought it would help me a lot and spent a lot of trouble trying to track down an EMDR therapist she used to know. Sadly the therapist isn't doing it anymore but my GP said it was ideal for anyone who was trying to move on from a trauma or any other difficult event in their lives.

I'm really glad you have an EMDR therapist Angel, this probably sounds super weird but I'm really excited you've been able to access this therapy and I really hope it goes well for you.

Thanks everyone. My first session was about seeing if I was suitable and I am :) but he wants to take it slowly with me because of the amount of trauma that I have been through. We talked about some of my past, he explained the emdr to me and that we need to work on a safe place that I can go to in my head if it gets too much. I felt really tired for 2 days after and kept getting headaches but so far it's been ok. I felt dissociated at the weekend which wasn't very nice. I haven't had it that bad for ages but I got over it.

The way he explained to me is that he wants to work on the memories so that they just become like pictures in my head with no reaction to them.

Xxx

That sounds great, well apart from the tiredness and headaches but that might get easier as you get more used to it. You're probably not used to exercising your brain in that way so it would make sense if it was harder at first. I'm really glad your first session was positive. Your therapist sounds nice which always helps a lot and he's making the therapy suit you which is really good, we are all individuals with different experiences but some people seem to focus on the diagnosis and not the individual. It sounds very promising and I'm really happy for you.

Archived