Mental Health Forums

Cards

lonelyheartemma

Does anyone here like playing cards? I never play cards for money but I've recently got into playing card games and I love them. Luckily I am a bit weird so instead of having RL friends who probably hate playing cards I have lots of imaginary friends who love playing cards. So if I want to play bridge I can find 3 other people really easily.

I like bridge a lot but it's hard. My dad is teaching me but he used to be a bridge champion so he finds me a bit slow sometimes. But I love the tactics and the teamwork and the way players communicate through bidding.

Then I also like cribbage a lot but my dad doesn't like playing with me because I nearly always win! He does lots of clever stuff but I don't understand all the clever stuff so I keep it simple and that seems to work.

I like sevens too. I used to play it with my grandad when I was little but now I'm (reasonably) grown up I can understand all the strategy involved. I'm learning rummy and canasta now.

When I was in hospital for several months a friend came to visit one night and taught me to play cribbage. I'd never played before but I really enjoyed it - and I won! (Despite being very drugged-up; I think my friend may have played badly on purpose!) I'd love to try again and see if I could still play in a less drug induced state!

I will always remember that night though, I was so touched that the friend had come to see me as I had only told him about my illness and admission a few days before but he was so kind and supportive. Sadly we're not in touch anymore although I sometimes wonder about contacting him for another game...!

He sounds like a lovely friend! It's a shame you've lost touch with him. Maybe you should contact him!

It's funny how sometimes something totally unexpected can make you feel better. I think cards are a great way of being with someone and communicating without actually needing to make conversation. I wish I could play cribbage with you Artemis. I promise I won't go easy on you, I'll let you beat me fair and square!

Archived