Mental Health Forums

Fundraising Ideas, Need Help!

misery1980

Really REALLY wanna do something for charity. Mind and Positive Action for PTSD - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder but I'm torn between 3 ideas. 1) Camp out in Thetford forest for 24 hours by myself and people who know me will know that I hate camping and hate being totally alone in the middle of nowhere, 2) Be dropped off somewhere in the UK and have to find my way home, 3) Swim 1 mile, this one is the most tricky because a) I'm unfit and B) I can't swim!! I'd have to learn to swim which would all be part of the journey. 1, 2 or 3 people??

Such a nice idea! You're inspirational doing this, I think either 1 or 3, maybe 3 because it'd be a real achievement for you at the same time. Also, when I used to do sponsored swims, people could donate money per lap, so it kept me determined. I wish you the best of luck! x

just thoughts...

definitely 3

1 is you in isolation and risk

2 is isolation and risk

3 is a life skill for you, and as Becca95 said :)

you could perhaps go to a local college

or faith community (church etc)

and ask those in charge to get folks to sponsor you?

Just a suggestion (and you can tell me to go and do one and i won't be offended), why not raise money for Mind etc, by doing something that you actually enjoy, that won't be potentially triggering or stressful for you and you will still feel that you have accomplished something that you really want to do.

i hadn't baked since I was a kid at school (too many years ago to remember). Cancer research is something I feel passionately about, so I made a pledge to myself, that I would raise funds by challenging myself, but by doing something that didn't come naturally to me. So I made my own posters and baked and I mean baked lots of cakes. I burnt a few, made a hash of icing (that took me time to master the art of neatly icing cup cakes), but I did it, and managed to raise £100 by selling my cakes. I love baking now and I wouldn't have done it, unless I stepped out of my comfort zone (but still protected myself, so nothing too drastic) and faced my own personal challenge.

It could be anything that isn't risky, but something that you would enjoy. one step at a time and once you have accomplished that, then move onto the next step and challenge yourself to something a bit more different.

x

I don't think too many people understand you :)

Do all three as a Triathalon of Discovery!!.

You know you want to be challenged, to be dragged, from an existence into a LIFE, and what better way than extremes?!!.

As your fourth and final challenge.....go out with me for a week!!..................................................I can guarantee it's a sink or swim challenge and bound to be worth Millions for your Charity!! :):)

I hope this is allowed...obviously I understand if it is removed.

But this is how I raise money for the charity I support..

http://www.giveasyoulive.com/invite/R9UsYQoyj3hKlOrNYIL2qg7ajUuxKdYALBMO

You can raise lot's of money with just searching and if you do a bit of shopping on line. I know it's not your original three ideas but it's something you could keep in mind for afterwards maybe to raise for your charities?

Good luck with whichever one you choose, I think you should not risk 1 or 2 though x

No 2 might be fine, my parents used to drive my sister off to strange places and leave her to find her way home. They wouldn't do it with me because they knew I'd get lost but my sister started doing that when she was 10. If you do it in daylight hours and you're in town/village rather than country I think it would be ok.

No 1 does sound dangerous but I think people might still be prepared to sponsor you if there were a few of you doing it.

No 3 actually worries me the most in some way because you might take a long time before you're ready and it's possible you might never get there- a mile is a long way to swim and you'll need to learn to swim then build up a lot of stamina to be able to swim a mile. I could be wrong but I think most people have never swum that far? I did swimming for about 5 years and it took me a couple of years before I could swim without a float and even then I could only do a bit of doggie paddle. My dad has swum a mile but my mum and my sister definitely can't swim that far and although my best friend has a swimming pool she says she's not much of a swimmer and she just plays around really. But maybe my friends and family aren't typical, it wouldn't be the first time!

Archived