Mental Health Forums

Online Relationships

PDBPD

I am a member on a couple of mental health/ survivor sites and every few months it comes to the fore that girls....not always but mainly...have been befriended by someone who then abuses the situation. Please be careful...not everyone has good intentions..there is only so much the management can do to keep you safe online. If someone asks for your Yahoo or Facebook you are letting them in to your life...pause and check you trust them please

Steve

Thanks Steve I learnt this the hard way, not once but twice both from here, and have recently found out the second one is doing the same with others here too, seriously its so wrong to do that, they seemed to pick a particular type of person who struggles with issues around sex and impulsive sex, might learn me not to post so honestly x

Addy...this is a safe space...it becomes unsafe when you expand it with other ways of communicating...please don't allow a few to deny you support...most people have good intentions Steve

Yeah true Steve there are a lot of trustworthy people on here but I won't be giving out my number in a hurry again x

That is the thing about getting to know people over the internet, You do not always truly know what they're like, Even if you think you do... Just by seeing a photo of someone does not mean it's them or adding them on FaceBook does not mean it's them either, As they're many far too many fake accounts on there and all over the web...

If you wanted to speak to people who you have get on with over the internet, You can use Skype, Plus you can go on cam to the other person to double check they're who they say they're in their photo; Also if they start talking about things you wish not to, Then you can end the call and block them straight the way... So no one ever has your number and you are safe from them texting/Whatsapp'ing/calling you again, If you wish for them to leave you alone...

Yeah it has come to light here recently that people have not been safe for various reasons but we can learn from this too. I will be extra careful from now on and every time you do block somebody or report somebody you are helping yourself and others on here and you are protecting yourself from further harm. xxxx

This topic has been precious and relevant for so many, but selfishly, I thank you all for helping me.

I have been fortunate, in the sense that, my fear, prevents, err, identification to my physical space, and now official identity...

But I feel sometimes, that people, just don't trust, me/who they are talking too...which is appropriate, but difficult, when one really wants to, touch another persons soul, to say, I heard you, I feel you...

I would like to express to you all, I can give, my mind/soul/heart, just not my 'official' names and numbers...

I know this adds to the trust issues of so many, but I am vulnerable, and must learn, a little more, before I take such bold steps...

Well wishes with Thank you, to all, that help keep me safe, moonbeambethxxx

Hi moonbeam, your right to keep your privacy and do what's right for you . The people we speak of are those who are private messaging vulnerable women on here with one purpose in mind and then exchanging phone numbers and that's maybe the worst thing then letting someone in who can't be trusted. People here are lovely only a few are sleazy and have another motive just like rl I guess x

Beth...I feel the same...I will keep my identity separate from the space I use here...it is not uncommon...or a red flag that we aren't genuine Steve

Great post Steve and very true though a lot of your points can be true with offline relationships as well.

To those of you who have kept aspects of your identity hidden I don't see anything wrong in that- actually some people would think it's advisable but I think it's up to the individual really. This forum is here to help people but it can be difficult even asking for help if you don't feel safe. So that's the first thing, the most important thing, protect yourself as much as you need to. There are things I've hidden or only mentioned in certain forums, partly to protect myself from the minority here who cause trouble, partly to protect myself from people in the real world. Once I posted online using a username my mum was familiar with, she found it by googling it. I never used that username again.

But really I think your name is nothing to do with who you are, it's just a label. It's your personality, your thoughts, your emotions, your experiences that make you you. And that's what this forum is all about.

Archived