Mental Health Forums

Quetiapine Withdrawals And Depression

successful_workthru

Hi

I would like to hear from people who have come off seroquel after years of useage.

About nine weeks ago, I gradually reduced my seroquel doseage from 100mg a day to 25mg a day.

It took me about seven weeks to do this.

I have been holding at 25mg for a couple of weeks, because I suddenly started to get really depressed.

The depression feels almost as bad as when I was reducing benzos.

The depression has not left me since I decided to hold at 25mg.

I will resume cutting my dose at a slower rate when the depression goes, but would like to know how long the depression is likely to last.

thanks

I have been reducing my haloperidol (a first generation antipsychotic) over the last 3.5 years. I was on 2.0mg for 25 years and am presently on 0.25mg. Lately my depression has been worse but I feel that it may mainly be from sleep problems. I know seroquel is sedating, so if you are starting to experience insomnia after lowering it, possibly the lack of sleep is fueling the depression. Also, it might be wise to lower the dosage at even a slower rate to give your body time to adjust. I also think that emotions are more "up front" without antipsychotics, so now may be the time for you to practice more of your coping techniques such as CBT, DBT, ACT, etc. to help you through the depression. Just a thought - Detroitguy.

• 2 months later...

Hi My depression has returned after 4 months totally off quetiapine and trazadone, I reduced them over 5 weeks then stopped and up until 2 weeks ago I felt ok.... Now I am trying trazadone again as I don't want the quetiapine again if I can help it. I was on 350mg quetiapine before. I did suffer depression from quetiapine withdrawal when I first tried so I put my dose back up for a few months and then tried again... But I am still struggling now 4 months free.. My emotions are so much stronger and harder to deal with. I am off work with stress now for 2 weeks. Hugs to ya, it's awful, All that I can suggest is either to increase your meds and stable out again or try an anti d with it?. Xxxxx

Archived