Mental Health Forums

Services Making Me Choose Between The Two

Alittlelost

Trigger warning for weight loss numbers and ED behaviours

I didn't know whether to post this in the personality disorder section, the eating disorder section or the treatment section, so I chose the treatment section. I've been accepted into a theraputic community, however they are saying I cannot be under them as well as the eating disorder services.

I was referred to my eating disorder service again as I've lost over 20 pounds in three months and have been abusing laxatives. I have an appointment with them in a month. I was admitted to the impatient service there in 2008, so I'm aware that I am struggling with my weight.

The problem is I want to go into the theraputic community but if I lose too much weight they will not let me attend but then they are also saying I cannot receive treatment from the eating disorder service. Do you see my dilemma? Basically they are saying you have to control your eating disorder on your own if you want to attend the theraputic community. Does this seem a bit bizarre to you? The therapists at the personality disorder service said you're not skinny anyway! This has really upset me.

I just don't know what to do, I'm trying so very hard to control this relapse because I really want the therapy from the theraputic community. I've been so upset today because of this.

I can understand why you feel so torn Alittlelost, it is a very difficult choice to make. However, I don't think it is unusual for one type of 'therapy' to state that they will not take you on if you are undergoing a different type of treatment at the same time. I have been told the same in the past.

I agree it seems very illogical but I guess they don't want to be treading on each other's toes the whole time.

I would be tempted to go for the therapeutic community. I think it is unlikely that they would completely ignore your ED while you were there anyway (i.e. let you not eat or whatever). However, it depends on how well you think you can manage without the ED team's support. I have a similar history to you with ED and previous inpatient care so I get how careful you need to be with getting the balance right - all I can do is wish you luck with whatever you choose.

As for the personality disorder therapist saying that to you - that is incredibly unprofessional and an awful thing to say to anyone, let alone someone with an ED. I am appalled. If you do go to their service then I would consider telling someone there (higher ranking I mean) how hurtful you found their comment - I know you won't want to rock the boat but the risk of them saying something like that again to trigger you further (or anyone else in the future) might make it worth it???

Thank you for your reply Artemis. I've had some time to calm down from that appointment now and I can understand the rational behind it, I just think the appointment on the whole added to the decisions needed to be made left me feeling very up in the air. They told me that there would be support in place for those who struggle with their eating and I told them I would much rather be getting support from them in the theraputic community so all areas can be addressed rather than be under eating disorder team again. I left the appointment with more questions than answers and more uncertainty, which I hate. I spoke to my CPN afterwards and she was just as shocked as you and me on what was said about my current weight. She said she couldn't believe they had said that.

Not a nice thing to say, that's sure. I'm sorry you had to hear this. Sure hope that things imrpove for your eating and all.

Archived