Mental Health Forums

Bpd And Careers

maxybabes

Hi everyone i just wondered if anyone had applied for any kinda of nursing/health jobs and had difficulties because of mental health problems? i know you need to be 100% better to be able to help people with similar problems. but i just wondered with the stigma attached to BPD that it may have an affect , when filling in aplication forms it seems to ask if you suffer with any mental health problems, my CPN says not to bother mentioning. im not sure !!! :unsure:

I work in a long term rehab facility for young adults with mobility disabilities. Most have brain injuries and behavior problems. I am constantly viligant not to join them in head banging, etc. My boss knows I am in therapy and says therapy is good for everyone - I have never told her why I am in therapy. I imagine she thinks it is for anger issues.

Hi Maxybabes!

I don't know the answer to your question, but I sure do wish more people working in the health care industry had first hand experience with a certain illness before treating someone else with it.

I live in Ontario, Canada. The most renowned mental health facility in Ontario is called Homewood Health Centre. That hospital is known for hiring mental health workers who also have personal experience with mental health issues. I've never dealt with a more compassionate group of people. The treatment I received from them was more than people just doing their jobs. I got the feeling that mental health, whether a patient, Nurse, house keeper, or Doctor, was something we were all conquering together!

Good luck finding what you're looking for! Someone is bound to see you have much more skill to offer than your health care qualifications alone!

I think it is not ok to tell an employer or coworker (unless they become your friends) about having a mental illness. I told people things on my last job and I ened up getting fired and it had become hard for me to go to work and not separate myself from my problems because others knew. I've been working with people with brain injuries and others who have cerebal palsey for 5 years. I have not been my best at times while having these jobs, however it keeps me grounded to help people like that, takes me out of myself and it's helpful for me. So, I don't think you have to be 100% healthy or 100% recovered to do this kind of work. Only you know if it is good for you though. Like for me it's great because it allows me to be healthy while i'm helping unhealthy people....if that makes sense. But if your health becomes worse or interferes with your ablity to help your clients, it's not good for you. It's kind of a case by case issue with this line of work. I hope this helps you some, and like I said IT'S NOT GOOD TO TELL EMPLOYERS!!

Good Question...i guess being "grounded" means a couple things to me, but most importantly it's security and self-awareness. Being aware of myself and doing what is needed for myself and my health. I feel grounded when I have goals and stick to them and when I'm able to be aware of my needs and wants and take care of them. I guess that's it in a nut shell. What is being "grounded" mean to you?

the NHS is a tricky area when applying for a job, an inquiry was done after Beverley Allit mudered children in her care she was a murse in Grantham, she was found to have Munchosen by proxy. Because of this people with the nHS was issued giudelines about hiring people with mental health problems.

If you declare mhp then you have to undergo interviews with doctors and they need report from you shrink (i think) i suppose it depends on where you have the scars if you did si

good luck

Lucy

• 3 weeks later...

I think munchhausen by proxy is a lot different than Mental illness such as we have. Most of the time we know what we are doing, they dont see it as harmful.

I wouldnt tell anyone about my MI unless they needed to, especially my employer, and I cant see any reason why they need to know. I have worked in the health care field for many years, although I am not even working now, I dont think its a good idea to tell them, it just gives them cause to discriminate. And they have, trust me they have.

Hi everyone i just wondered if anyone had applied for any kinda of nursing/health jobs and had difficulties because of mental health problems? i know you need to be 100% better to be able to help people with similar problems. but i just wondered with the stigma attached to BPD that it may have an affect , when filling in aplication forms it seems to ask if you suffer with any mental health problems, my CPN says not to bother mentioning. im not sure !!! :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even though everyone in Britain in says the Govt sucks- not quite! I applied for a job 18 months ago at my local Council after a period of hospitalisation and subsequent therapy, and was quite honest in filling out the application form that I had an illness, and had to leave my last job because of it. I got the job, and now have the most wonderfully understanding employers on the planet- my immediate supervisors have even read books on BPD, and help me so much I don't know if I could exist without the feeling of competence they give me. Of course, I say this now, but as soon as one of them pisses me off, they're the most evil/horrible people on the planet. They tell me I make it easier by being honest and providing information, but think it is more to do with being in the company of amazing people, that I thank 'whoever' everyday for helping me meet them. But technically, the Law is on our side- discrimination legislation is in place to protect us and sooner or later the realisation will descend that Mental Illness is not the end of life, but the beginning of another one. As much as I hate being BP, I'm so happy that at least I'm me, and there are other people who are struggling too- I hate being alone.

the thing with beverley allit came about because SHE has mucnhauseans by proxy, the report say that anyone wanting to train as a doctor or nurse in the nhs with mental hgealth problems need to meet certain critera, such as independant living for three years, no recent self harm, been away from the sercives ie pchy or cpn or ip, for two years before they will be considered, they then have to see a doctor and pass some kind of medical.

It affects me both applying and after I get a job.

My social anxiety disorder prevents me from applying, and my big range of emotions loses the job every time. I'm trying to look into disability, but I know I can't count on that.

i work as a carer, i go into ppls homes and give carers a break from caring for their ill or elderly or disabled family member or friend in the home. when i apply for jobs i do not tick the mental health box because i believe that it causes discrimination and i will not get the job. i find i wont apply for work if im too ill anyway. i applied for one job when i first moved to qld and i was upfront and honest with the employer and told them i had a mental illness, it was a nursing agency and i hardly got any work even though i was well and did my work competently. i didnt get any work for up to 6 weeks. it really pissed me off. but i was struggling with confidence and selfesteem and was beginning to get unwell. so i ended up quiting and looking for other work. i did become really unwell and not having work worked out well i didnt need the added stress. when i became well i began looking for other work and found a brilliant job that i am in now and it is a very rewarding and well paid job. i do find that i am overworked though and im beginning to get very tired and rundown but that is easily fixed.

when i was studying nursing i also found that the health industy was very discrimanitive towards students with mental health issues. and this shocked me. out of all the departments i thought the health faculty would be the most understanding but i was mistaken. i deferred because i was unwell and when i wanted to come back they told me i was to unstable and refused my re-entry. so i suggest unless you really want to and you illness is very obvious dont tick the box asking you if you have a mental illness or not. i never do. its not their business unless you are not stable and its clearly obvious that you have an illness.

best of luck

rag

Archived