Mental Health Forums

People On Benefits And The Media ...

Jelly-bean

I was just going through my fb and have found that this is a big subject which as I am on benefits I feel to scared to answer any of these posts, the reason being I personally don't owe an explanation why I am on benefits but I know that if I said I were a whole can of worms would be opened .... the thing is personally these media rantings make me feel worse about my self I'm wondering how others cope? With this pressure as being dx with depression bpd ... complex ptsd... it's never easy to feel good about myself at any given time...

Dose this effect any of you? ...

I'm sorry your family says that to you, I have and am called such names also mainly lazy ... I'd gladly swap places with them any day, they can live in my head and I will have there's and be able to go to work hold down a job have nice things go on holiday, have a relationship, have no shame drive a car... walk out my front door.... go to social events pop down my local pub... have my heating on regularly buy carpets oh the list is endless the main name calling is scrounger...

People are far too judgemental. Yes there are some who take advantage of benefits..... And they make the press!! But there are many, like you guys, who need them, and would if they could work. It's a hard thing to understand but you guys are fine... Believe in yourselves... You are all worthy. Xxx

I had a very brief stint on benefits (4 months), I had to leave my temp job as I had a suspected heart attack, so had to rest for a few months. Sadly, it was the benefits system that treated me like shit. I felt so low about myself that i jumped into the first job that i could, which i am very over qualified for…worst thing i ever did, I've been through hell and back since working there (Ive recently resigned).

Every situation is different, every individuals circumstance is different. the benefits system is in place for people who are unable to work due to ill health and those who are struggling to find work..personally speaking, I couldn't cope with getting benefits, i found it utterly soul destroying.

There are people in receipt of benefits who do take advantage of the system, when that happens everyone who claims benefits gets lumped together and the media have a field day, enticing the haters out of their dark corners, encouraging them to spit and point the finger, when actually, how would they feel if life kicked the crap out of them and their health suffered as a consequence…they would want people to empathise with them, it could happen to anyone of those who say spiteful, nasty things, so they need to remember that when they are spitting venom.

Very true buzzy, I feel the media paints a picture of benefit opulence... that people are well off having been given money and a roof over there head. for which some yes some have found ways of making a lot out of the system... those people are so few though but still all on benefits are tarred with the same brush, even though it is hell claiming proving illness, and going through the system, as you say it's horrible and utterly soul destroying..

I'm sorry you all are called such names. These situations should not exist. Hell, like you said no one is protected from needing benefits, health is fragile and being fit to work is a privilege. Many of us would be homeless or worse if we couldn't have some money from this awful soul-destroying society we live in. Well, our time is a sad one. Full of nasty people saying hurtful things. I've hope though that things can change with a bit of social education. Medias have a part to play in this too. Cheers. From what I'm seeing, you're all beautiful and lovely and deserving of help. Be proud of who you are.

at the moment i pay £16 pw bedroom tax and £2 pw council tax out of £72 pw , i live in the country side and need a car my nearest town 6 miles away.

im going down hill fast , when i here the things i do on tv and radio , lazy , workshy , ect ect ., it realy gets me down i think they will need their water cannon.

life is not good ,eazy , or some sort of party .

ids can FU**K OFF...

Ugh. I totally know where you all are coming from. There's no way I'm willing to admit to anyone that I'm on benefits because too many react poorly. My dad calls it "sucking the governments tit" and is openly critical of those on disability/benefits (DSHS ((known as state benefits and less helpful than SSI)) and the aforementioned SSI ((which is basically federal and grants you better benefits))). I'm on SSI myself and like most, I started on DSHS. My aunt, my dad's sister, has been on benefits for ages because she has crippling migraines that leave her bed ridden for days and the doctors still haven't been able to figure out what's causing it or how to properly treat it. So they just drug her a lot and make it so she can't work.

There are people here in the state's, and I'm sure over there in the UK where I think most of you are, who abuse the system. They take advantage of benefits when they don't need them or steal them from relatives who actually do need them. This leaves the impression that all of us are thieving bastards taking precious tax dollars and being lazy little shits. I was just talking about this today with my new therapist. Most of us really do need the benefits and instead we're being punished because of others misbehavior and not just by general society. Here in the state's there's rules so rigid you'd think they'd snap with the slightest bend. You make one screw up and you get massively penalized. Even if it's the state that fucked up. Like my mom. My step dad switched jobs and as you're required to do, she sent in the information on the new job and the first months pay stubs for his wages. The idiots at DSHS/SSI lost the paperwork. So when she had to have the every few months interview to see if you still qualify and what adjustments must be made, she mentioned his new job. As they apparently had no record of it and he's had the job for about 7 months, they informed her she would be penalized and fined. Meaning she gets fined and then has to pay back every cent they paid her that went over the new benefit limit. Then they called her back 35 minutes later saying they'd found the paperwork, making it obvious they'd screwed up, but informed her she'd still be penalized.

Now she gets six dollars a month. $6.00 A MONTH. How the hell are you meant to live on that? My step dad barely makes above minimum wage (which is about $9.32 in Washington state) and they already struggle to cover most costs including their rent. Which was short this month. I actually bought everyone's groceries this month which can get me in a shit load of trouble but we really had no choice. At least they let her keep her insurance. Which is the only reason she's keeping the SSI. To begin with she has severe physical limitations and as her immune system is severely compromised from bone marrow loss she wouldn't be able to handle being in a service industry job which is all she can get. She's tried working and been fired every time because she can't keep up. Then there's the insurance. My step dad gets it from his work but for my mom to be added they'd have to pay almost 200 dollars a month and her state insurance covers more. Which is saying something as it doesn't provide dental or eye care and only VERY BASIC general services.

I even owe a thousand or two in medical expenses (which have now gone to credit agencies who can sue my ass off for not paying) because the state insurance refused to cover medical costs because I had some access to my dad and step-mom's insurance. Which I was informed was illegal back in March when I had to adjust everything but they're refusing to correct the mistake and handle the bills. This is also illegal but taking legal action is pointless and would likely only result in me losing a large amount of my benefits.

The system is incredibly screwed up and it's thanks to those that abuse the system, general paranoia and hostility and what appears to be a lack of really wanting to help.

/rant

Terribly sorry for the rant but this all pisses me off so much.

I've never told anyone other than hubby that I get DLA - I'm lucky to have a job with excellent employers which means I am able to work full time, although sometimes end up getting statutory sick pay if I've accumulated lots of time off. But although my job is quite responsible, I don't get paid lots as it's for a charity - the relatively modust benefits I get monthly mean that I can do a few extra things which help to keep me well, and to cope when I'm on SSP instead of full wages. But hearing about others who don't get what they deserve makes me mad, and feel guilty about my own circumstances...

I try to ignore things like that. You are right to ignore it Jelly, you don't owe anyone explanations. But it is hard when they are saying negative things.

It is horrible when family members say things like lazy and scrounger, well it hurts from everyone but you really want your family to understand. My sister told me once I was cheating the government but she accepts now that I'm a subhuman. Not ideal but at least she doesn't mention the subject anymore.

I agree with Mert, the media says bad things and shows the worst people and probably exaggerates what they do show. Then people assume everyone in that situation is like that. I don't understand it. Are we supposed to think everyone who has a job is a worthy human being? Of course they're not!

• 1 month later...

Don't worry.

I don't think many intelligent/reasoned people believe ALL people on benefits are scroungers. :) The welfare state does exist for a legitmate purpose :)

Archived