Mental Health Forums

Drug Addiction

jezzie_jay

I've got an addictive personality, but I want to focus this post on drug addiction. I spent years as a daily cannabis smoker, and eventually broke out of that cycle. I've had, well, still *do* have problems with alcohol, but my main problem atm is co-codamol. I've been on them just over a year and a half for a prolapsed disk and in that time, I have only rarely taken them for their intended purpose. Most of the time I'm abusing them. It was okay when I was just saving up the 8 you're allowed in a 24hour period and taking them in one go at night (my version of normal people having a glass or two of wine to unwind in the evening), but the last few months its gotten crazy. I get a prescription every two weeks, my last was given to me on Thursday and they're already nearly all gone. I just need them all the time. I don't know what to do. I can't tell my doctor in fear she'll cut me off. I've started buying the lower strength OTC ones as well and doing something called Cold Water Extraction, but if my partner finds out about this, he'll go spare, so I can't rely on it. I ended up in hospital nearly a year ago (my partner called an ambulance cos I was having a panic attack and he'd never seen one before and didn't know what was going on), after paramedics found an empty blister pack by my bed and I confessed I'd had 20 pills that day, which was a lot for me at the time. Now I don't bat an eyelid at taking that many over a few hours. I'm often scared about the damage I'm doing to my body, but then most of the time I feel so shit and suicidal, I figure it doesn't even matter. I have no idea how to even start getting help, but I am at least able to realise I need to do something cos this can't carry on. I had to do a week cold turkey recently and it was hell. Any advice, please?

and ive just realised i posted this in the wrong place; it shouldve gone in the Addiction sub forum. would an admin kindly move it for me please? thanks.

Hi jezzie, I think (but don't hold me to it - others will know more than me) that if you are addicted your doctor won't just cut you off, I'm assuming they would wean you off slowly. You have taken the first step admitting you have a problem, so well done you. You clearly understand the help you require, you can do it xx

Hi

Can you get in touch with your local addiction services?. For me that was the start of me getting better. I also attended narcotics anonymous and it saved my life. I have been drug free for a year now!!. It will feel like you are lost right now but I also found that telling my partner was the start of getting help. My g.p didn't really support me but addiction services will. Put in your local area and drug addiction in google.

Good luck xxxxxx

• 2 weeks later...

Drug addiction and alcoholism bring only destruction, sorrow, and pain, it affects not only the addict, but also the people in his/her life. Hurting friends and family, drug addiction also permeates professional settings

oh

well that helped!!

guess the people fighting their addictions had no clue of any of that until you just said

hope you have managed to talk to someone jezzie

sorry am no help but have no experience of this

Thanks for the support guys :) Admitting the problem on here made it more real for me so I've finally started facing up to it.

I fessed up to my boyfriend about it last Saturday night. On Monday I was in hospital (long story) and I talked to several Drug Counsellor/Psychiartrist type people about the addiction. For the time being, I've had my prescription made more frequent but of a lower quantity, the idea being that I can't take 2 weeks worth in 3 days if I don't have 2 weeks worth. I was told I could come straight off co-codamol and be put on a different pain relief drug that is used for people trying to come off heroin, but I would have regular drug tests to make sure I dont sneak any co-codamol on the side. I was tempted at the time, but thinking about it, I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't take co-codamol every night. I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday so hopefully she'll have some ideas too.

Archived