Mental Health Forums

Risking My Health

Merylbear

People keep telling me to worry about my health I don't care about my health at all even if I got seriously ill I would not go to a doctor or hospital because I am saving them money by not going to see them I am not taking my blood pressure pills or asthma inhalers I have not taken them for 4 months because i am saving them money by not taking them I will not take antidepressants or go to a support group because I am saving them money they keep saying to me they have not got any money so me saving them money should help them if I had my way I would stop all my benefits stop my care and not have nothing at all

well

if you truly had no hope, no care, and not even one speck of worry about all this - you probably wouldn't be here - posting - and reaching out

to be blunt

if you stop taking everything that could make you feel better - and then you get seriously ill and perhaps collapse in the street

the cost of the ambulance and hospital treatment, and perhaps other services would be WAY more than the cost of your medication

besides - every year MILLIONS of pounds is wasted in unused prescriptions, so why not save them some money by actually taking yours

sorry if this sounds abrupt and angry - that is me - and where I am right now - not a great moment

but I still wanted to reply to you

(and yes - I get where you are coming from and how you feel, and I also have not taken or even bought meds I should have)

but strongly believe that there IS a part of you that wants this to stop

that wants help

that wants to be able to take meds

and that is the part that has written to all of us here

listen to them

and please at least speak to someone about this

I don't care about my health even if I get seriously ill as long as I am saving money for social services my doctor my psychiatrist I don't have any choice I have to save them money so other people will get the help I don't need help anymore I don't deserve to have a carer a mental health nurse, social worker, psychiatrist I don't deserve to have any of it

Meryl...what you are saying is preposterous...in the long term you will cost much more. Anti depressants are very cheap...a crisis is expensive. As Walker has asked....what is your motivation for writing this confession??

You are not taking any responsibility for your health...that means others will have to step in...which will cost money. If that really is your primary concern??

Or perhaps you need to let people know you are suffering and you don't know how to accept help??

Steve

The fact that you believe this means that most likely you are one of the people that should have NHS help. If you want to harm yourself and risk your life by not taking your medication then own that fact, take responsibility for the fact that you are choosing to give up on yourself and your life- don't do it under the guise of being 'helpful' to the nhs. One person i.e you, not taking your meds and help on offer is a drop in the financial ocean of the NHS expenditures, it makes negligible difference to their financial situation. But as walker has said quite rightly- if you don't take them then it's likely you'll become ill and they will send an ambulance for you that will cost them- and someone else may die waiting for an ambulance that would have gone to them but has instead gone to you who could have avoided it by taking their meds, repeatedly doing that will cause repeated visits which will cost them. If they deem you mentally unstable because you won't take your meds or take care of yourself (because you can't because you haven't taken meds or help) they may keep you hospitalised or section you which will cost them money.

The simple fact of the matter is that the NHS is there for people who need it and people pay taxes thatthen pay for that treatment they may need- and you sound like you fit that category, you say that you don't deserve the help but you're as deserving as anyone else- why not take the help, get better and then go out and help others- that would be truly selfless. If you really want to help the NHS and other people you can do far more good healthy and alive than you can being sick and dead. Just something to think about.

Archived